Illegal right turns (Glossop/Hannover junction)

Taxi drivers are allowed to turn right.

The junction in the OP is where Upper Hannover Street crosses Glossop Road.

The OP is about a particular movement - from Glossop Road inbound, right onto Upper Hannover Street southbound towards Moore Street.

The junction on Google Maps

There are restrictions that apply to all road vehicles and some that only apply to cars, vans, lorries. I have omitted cycles and trams.

Glossop Road into town:

All vehicles ahead only. The Midland/HSBC/Sainsbury's slip road has gone.

No left (new rules and signage) or right turn (always has been and is the point of the OP) permitted for any vehicles.

Glossop Road out of town:

All traffic can go left and ahead.

Bus and taxi can make a right.

Upper Hannover Street Northbound toward Brook Hill/University roundabout:

No right turn permitted for any vehicle.

Upper Hannover Street Southbound toward Hannover Way, Moore Street etc.:

All traffic can go ahead only.

No left or right turn permitted for any vehicle.

A left turn here would endanger pedestrians crossing on a "green man" for part of the cycle.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Taxi drivers are allowed to turn right.

Not at the junction we're discussing in the direction we're discussing.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 08:59 ----------

Or you could use the nice dual carriageway that the council built to take that through traffic........

You could drive a mile extra, into extra traffic, stopping and starting more times...

That's why most people (doing a journey like this) use the small side roads of Hillsborough to bypass the tram gate instead.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 09:02 ----------

it's not crazy, it stops people rat-running (and causing congestion) through a busy tram/bus junction.

It also stops people who live locally from taking the most sensible route to places.

And the tram gate is tram only for an excessive length of time if rush hour traffic was the problem. 7 - 11... Eleven! Who thinks that rush hour extends to 11 or even 10! 1600 - 1900 makes more sense.

Taxi drivers think they can go anywhere regardless of what the road signs say. I come home that way from work and have seen loads of cars do it. Also since the blocked off the road outside the Sainsbury's I've noticed cars do a left turn when they aren't supposed to. While we are on the subject, up Glossop Road there is a no right turn by the side of the Hallamshire and I've seen plenty of cars ignore that sign too, again taxis being the main culprit.

I know the thread has morphed to cover lots of different junctions, but to go back to the OP, regarding the right turn from an inbound Glossop Road onto Upper Hanover Street, and heading towards Ecclesall Road...

Does anyone (Planner 1, maybe) know if the pedestrian crossing just down Upper Hanover Street is linked to the sequence of lights at the junction, or is it an independent crossing?

I suspect that it's entirely independent.

Yes, I think you're right. I've just looked on streetview, and it has those angled baffles(like venetian blinds), which stop the lights being seen from the road junction, which woulx imply it is separate.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 10:19 ----------

Not at the junction we're discussing in the direction we're discussing.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 08:59 ----------

You could drive a mile extra, into extra traffic, stopping and starting more times...

That's why most people (doing a journey like this) use the small side roads of Hillsborough to bypass the tram gate instead.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 09:02 ----------

It also stops people who live locally from taking the most sensible route to places.

And the tram gate is tram only for an excessive length of time if rush hour traffic was the problem. 7 - 11... Eleven! Who thinks that rush hour extends to 11 or even 10! 1600 - 1900 makes more sense.

I agree that the times for the tram gate appear to be excessive.

But as to very local journeys being impacted, I can't see any way of allowing the (very few) local journeys without also allowing the (potentially very many more if not restricted) longer journeys to pass through.

The poster earlier talking about going to Worrall, for example. There's no way I'd even consider trying to rat run that journey. Penistone Road, then cut up between the Park and Wednesday's ground. Busy, at busy times, but much quicker than some of the queues I've seen around Walkley Lane.

The junction in the OP is where Upper Hannover Street crosses Glossop Road.

The OP is about a particular movement - from Glossop Road inbound, right onto Upper Hannover Street southbound towards Moore Street.

The junction on Google Maps

There are restrictions that apply to all road vehicles and some that only apply to cars, vans, lorries. I have omitted cycles and trams.

Glossop Road into town:

All vehicles ahead only. The Midland/HSBC/Sainsbury's slip road has gone.

No left (new rules and signage) or right turn (always has been and is the point of the OP) permitted for any vehicles.

Glossop Road out of town:

Bus and taxi can make a right.

Upper Hannover Street Northbound toward Brook Hill/University roundabout:

No right turn permitted for any vehicle.

Upper Hannover Street Southbound toward Hannover Way, Moore Street etc.:

All traffic can go ahead only.

No left or right turn permitted for any vehicle.

A left turn here would endanger pedestrians crossing on a "green man" for part of the cycle.

Sounds spot on to me !

No doubt some will continue to argue...

Does anyone (Planner 1, maybe) know if the pedestrian crossing just down Upper Hanover Street is linked to the sequence of lights at the junction, or is it an independent crossing?

I've actually witnessed a few close shaves because of this (pedestrian vs taxi)

The taxis waiting for their opportunity to turn right will accelerate hard once they find their opportunity to cut through often forgetting there's another set of pedestrian lights immediately after the turn.

Also ignore Operationpig. He didn't like the fact I wasn't condemning beggars in another thread so he posted a message on here to provoke a reaction.

Seems to be allot of that happening on SF!

That crossing is an integral part of the main junction and runs in its own stage of the signal sequence, which only activates when a pedestrian pushes the button. Seems to work ok like that.