Illegal right turns (Glossop/Hannover junction)

I used to work very near that junction. Then a lot of traffic came down Glossop Road and turned left across the front of what was HSBC but is now a supermarket. Has that cut been eliminated? I don't recall right turning traffic being a problem then, but I'm probably going back 15 years!

Yes, the left filter was removed several months ago, as part of the current changes. I understand that it is to free up the route for the extra buses which now use glossop road. Only last week I was following a car down glossop road. He then decided to turn left towards the brook hill roundabout. Everything had to grind to a halt as he clogged up the junction, and had to reverse a bit to complete the manoeuvre.

I used to regularly use this junction travelling along the A61 (Hanover WAy). Over the years, I've often seen drivers turning right from Glossop Road, as the OP describes. Not a lot in the wholw scheme of things, but a fair number over the years.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 08:30 ----------

Ms Interpret this has been going on unchallenged for years well before any layout changes were made.

If you're driving down Glossop Rd (heading towards town) and want to get onto the ring road heading south, then you drive up to Brook hill roundabout [as shown here].

An illegal right turn on a major junction isn't an option.

It will be interesting to see what traffic flows will be like when the roadworks have finished, and everything has settled down.

As shown on the map, there is extra traffic being sent up Clarkson Street, as there is no longer the left turn off Glossop Road at the Harley Hotel. This puts extra traffic load onto the junction at the Children's Hospital. This junction also has an extra sequence in the traffic lights to allow town bound buses to turn right into Clarkson Street. This must impact on the green light times available for all of the other routes. So, more traffic and shorter green light times. Something must suffer.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 08:42 ----------

I may be wrong but I recall taxi drivers on here proving they were allowed to make that turn.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3801413,-1.4835608,3a,37.5y,265.46h,85.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slTdPccFPYpFnVU7BQGz4Kw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I don't know if this sign is still there, but it appears to only allow buses to turn right. But I don't know if anything else applies. There isn't enough space to say "except buses and taxis", so don't know what they would say. Having said that, over the years I've seen a few cars turn right here, let alone taxis.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 08:49 ----------

I may be wrong but I recall taxi drivers on here proving they were allowed to make that turn.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3801623,-1.4840006,3a,75y,288.64h,78.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEGY6UqoWS7Hwk7HAe_oVMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

A car making the turn towards Brook Hill

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 08:57 ----------

Dear South Yorkshire Police,

The amount of vehicles making illegal right turns onto Upper Hannover from Glossop Road has reached epidemic levels.

The 'ahead only' message is reinforced 3 times (traffic light, road sign, road markings) and yet drivers are still making illegal right turns.

I know this is a nightmare for bus and tram drivers alike, but it also holds up the traffic for anyone wanting to enter West Street from Glossop road.

We need to see better enforcement. This is a TS50 offence attracting a fixed penalty notice and 3 points.

Thank you.

[Image of the junction in question]

Back on topic. I wonder if the people who turn right here are one offs who get confused and turn right because they don't know how to get onto Hanover Way the correct way, or if they are habitual offenders who always do this to avoid the long (correct) way round.

If the latter, then a purge over a few days should help to concentrate their minds. One or at most two tickets should sort them out. (Edit) And if it doesn't, they'll soon build up enough points to get them off the road for a while.

Edited by Eater Sundae

There are no exceptions made for taxi drivers. I've asked myself whilst riding in a taxi making that same illegal right turn. Driver said 'we're not supposed to but it's quicker'.

Google Street View [link here] is probably easier to see. There are no exceptions anywhere, even for buses. It's ahead only.

There are no exceptions made for taxi drivers. I've asked myself whilst riding in a taxi making that same illegal right turn. Driver said 'we're not supposed to but it's quicker'.

Google Street View [link here] is probably easier to see. There are no exceptions anywhere, even for buses. It's ahead only.

I agree, the signs are clear.

Just Yesterday I was waiting at the lights to head down to West Street, A woman came down Hanover way and then at the last minute decided to turn right to go up Glossop Road towards the Hallamshire. She very nearly caused an accident on BOTH sides of the dual carriage way! Unbelievable:loopy:

The worst thing about this junction is the sheer number of drivers that don't know what yellow cross hatchings on the road surface mean. So many idiots just blindly and ignorantly blocking the road because they want to get 20 feet further ahead.

Just checking...but do YOU know what the yellow cross-hatchings on the road surface mean?

I'd be interested to know what your interpretation of them is?

I just attended one of those speed awareness courses a few weeks ago and in a room full of 24 people only about 5 of us knew what the national speed limit is on different types of road, e.g. normal single carriageway road, dual carriageway and motorway. So I'd be amazed if people actually know what the yellow cross-hatchings mean!:)

I don't think anyone can turn right on to Upper Hanover Street when heading towards West Street, which is the turn that the OP speaks about. Buses (and I think you're right about taxis) can turn right towards the Uni roundabout heading away from West Street, but that's not the problem discussed here.

I think we're getting confused - some people seem to be talking about heading into town, whereas some are talking about heading out of town.

There was a huge thread about this before, and one of the taxi drivers posted a link to something on the SCC website that proved that they were allowed to make the right turn heading out of town, up to uni roundabout as you say. I don't remember the thread or the link (and I'm not a taxi driver) so couldn't help sadly, but I remember the argument quite well. :)

Heading into town, I think you're right, no one can make that turn, but people often do.

To be fair, it's only one tiny example of countless examples of bad driving I see daily.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 09:44 ----------

Just checking...but do YOU know what the yellow cross-hatchings on the road surface mean?

I'd be interested to know what your interpretation of them is?

I just attended one of those speed awareness courses a few weeks ago and in a room full of 24 people only about 5 of us knew what the national speed limit is on different types of road, e.g. normal single carriageway road, dual carriageway and motorway. So I'd be amazed if people actually know what the yellow cross-hatchings mean!:)

Box junction - don't enter unless your exit is clear. That's what I think, but I'm not 100%.

Guest busdriver1
I think we're getting confused - some people seem to be talking about heading into town, whereas some are talking about heading out of town.

There was a huge thread about this before, and one of the taxi drivers posted a link to something on the SCC website that proved that they were allowed to make the right turn heading out of town, up to uni roundabout as you say. I don't remember the thread or the link (and I'm not a taxi driver) so couldn't help sadly, but I remember the argument quite well. :)

Heading into town, I think you're right, no one can make that turn, but people often do.

To be fair, it's only one tiny example of countless examples of bad driving I see daily.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 09:44 ----------

Box junction - don't enter unless your exit is clear. That's what I think, but I'm not 100%.

Correct but with one exception, If you are making a right turn and your exit is clear but is obstructed by oncoming traffic you may enter.

Correct but with one exception, If you are making a right turn and your exit is clear but is obstructed by oncoming traffic you may enter.

I'd have been a little over-cautious then. Suppose that's better than being over-optimistic :) I'm good with that.

it's only one tiny example of countless examples of bad driving I see daily.

This is a major junction on our ring road system with allot of pedestrian traffic. There should no allowances made for illegal turns.

I'm sure we all have subjective views on what constitutes 'bad' driving however turning right at this junction is illegal.