Illegal right turns (Glossop/Hannover junction)

Correct me if I am wrong but :

Driving along Glossop road heading out of town:

You can turn left onto Hanover way (to head South).

Only buses (and trams obvs) can turn right onto Hanover way (heading North to brookhill roundabout).

edit - according to SCC website https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/travel-transport/bus-lanes-gates. Since this direction the junction is classed as a bus/tram gate - Taxis are allowed to turn right to brookhill

Driving along Glossop road heading in to town:

Ahead only (applies to ALL traffic). edit - since this is not a bus lane or bus / tram gate , the ahead only applies to ALL traffic (including Taxis so OP is correct)

The left filter lane (across the front of Sainsburys) has been removed.

So actually, I am not entirely sure what you do if you NEED to go towards brookhill ?

(If you wanted to go south down Hanover way , you would need to go ahead , do a U turn and head back to junction , then go left!!).

I imagine parents visiting their Uni kids for the day must have a nightmare trying to get around Sheffield.

No exceptions for Taxis . But then they are a law unto themselves.

edits above..

Edited by Goooooogle
new facts came to light

So actually, I am not entirely sure what you do if you NEED to go towards brookhill ?

(If you wanted to go south down Hanover way , you would need to go ahead , do a U turn and head back to junction , then go left!!).

Coming downhill on Glossop turn left at West End Hotel onto Clarkson Street and right onto Brook Hill to Brook Hill roundabout.

Coming downhill on Glossop to turn right onto Hanover has not been a (legal) option for decades.-Use above

Apparently SCC do exempt taxis from those restrictions.

No Andy you are mistaken. There are no exceptions for taxis. Taxi drivers are aware the right turn is illegal but openly disregard the signs and markings.

The 'ahead only' applies to ALL traffic approaching the junction from Glossop road and heading into the city centre. Click [here] to see for yourself.

Coming downhill on Glossop turn left at West End Hotel onto Clarkson Street and right onto Brook Hill to Brook Hill roundabout.

Absolutely right.

However , as a local I am aware of the new system , but for anyone not from Sheffield who misses that turn at the West end , they now get very stuck...

They would have to proceed ahead at Hanover way and then hope the signage gets them back out. Or else make a sneaky but illegal left onto Hanover way (which I have seen a lot of people do, and not just taxis !)

No Andy you are mistaken. There are no exceptions for taxis. Taxi drivers are aware the right turn is illegal but openly disregard the signs and markings.

The 'ahead only' applies to ALL traffic approaching the junction from Glossop road and heading into the city centre. Click [here] to see for yourself.

Apparently not.

I've found the thread - if you search on here for 'Black Cabs In Sheffield' you'll find a 12 page thread about various issues. There's a chap on there called PAKS4, who links to a part of the SCC site that said that taxis could make all right turns through bus only lanes in the same way as buses can.

I remember seeing that, not thinking it was true, and on reading it, he was absolutely right, so according to SCC taxis can make that turn.

It starts on page2 of the thread.

PS I've just emailed the Council to ask - don't hold your breath!

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 12:02 ----------

Puggie I'm afraid you're wrong.

Taxis can turn right from Glossop Road, and they can make all prohibited right turns.

It's here...

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/travel-transport/bus-lanes-gates

Scroll down, and click on 'which other vehicles can use gates and lanes'.

You'll see the clarification....

Other vehicles can use the gates and lanes, including taxis, cycles and 'authorised' vehicles such as emergency services.

No vehicles other than trams can use any of the 'tram only' facilities.

The following vehicles can use the listed lanes and gates below.

buses - No exceptions

taxis - bus lanes, prescribed and prohibited turns, bus or bus/tram gates EXCEPT Peaks Mount at Waterthorpe, adjacent to Crystal Peaks bus station, on runways B, C & D within Sheffield Transport Interchange (STI), on STI runway E (unless holding a PTE pass)

pedal cycles - bus lanes, prescribed and prohibited turns, bus or bus/tram gates EXCEPT on the runways within Sheffield Transport Interchange

solo motorcyles - bus lanes ONLY

So yes, they can turn right from Glossop Road.

Edited by Andy1976

Andy - I know you're an intellectual man and I am conscious of your efforts to muddy the waters here by casting doubt.

Your argument relates to a completely seperate matter of whether taxies can 'join in' where a right turn exception has been made for buses etc.

The junction when approached from the student union end of Glossop road does not afford any such exceptions to buses or anyone else.

It is 'ahead only' which applies to all traffic including buses and taxis.

I suggest you have [another look] at the road markings and the 'ahead only' filter on the traffic light

Dear South Yorkshire Police,

The amount of vehicles making illegal right turns onto Upper Hannover from Glossop Road has reached epidemic levels.

The 'ahead only' message is reinforced 3 times (traffic light, road sign, road markings) and yet drivers are still making illegal right turns.

I know this is a nightmare for bus and tram drivers alike, but it also holds up the traffic for anyone wanting to enter West Street from Glossop road.

We need to see better enforcement. This is a TS50 offence attracting a fixed penalty notice and 3 points.

Thank you.

[Image of the junction in question]

So have you actually raised this question with SY Police?

Andy - I know you're an intellectual man and I am conscious of your efforts to muddy the waters here by casting doubt.

Your argument relates to a completely seperate matter of whether taxies can 'join in' where a right turn exception has been made for buses etc.

The junction when approached from the student union end of Glossop road does not afford any such exceptions to buses or anyone else.

It is 'ahead only' which applies to all traffic including buses and taxis.

I suggest you have [another look] at the road markings and the 'ahead only' filter on the traffic light

I'm afraid I disagree.

The council site is very clear to me, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

That said, as mentioned, I've emailed the Council to ask them. In two years, when they reply, we can come back to this!

PS I'm not sure why the comment about 'muddying waters' was necessary. I've said from minute one of this thread that I recalled a taxi driver telling us that this turn was allowed. I've linked to the thread, and to the Council website. This isn't muddying anything - it's giving a view that I think is correct.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 12:54 ----------

As a Council worker/ex-council worker - could you give the answer to this?

Planner1 since you are here, perhaps you could clear up the taxi/banned turn debate?

Presumably, each prescribed or prohibited turn is enforced by a TRO? And if so, SCC would need to make specific provision within each TRO to exempt buses, cycles, taxis etc from the regulation order? So does SCC as a matter of course exempt those vehicles from TROs as Andy1976 claims?