Illegal right turns (Glossop/Hannover junction)

Do you disagree with the comments on the Council website about taxis or accept them? Just curious now.

Andy it's completely irrelevant my original post.

You're talking about turning exceptions for taxis in regard to bus lanes and gates. That doesn't apply in this instance.

Remember it's not exclusively taxies that are flouting the rules by turning right here.

The exemptions on the council site surely only apply to restricted turns and do not overule the rules of the road. If this were not the case, the driver in the case below could not be prosecuted for doing an illegal turn. I appreciate this is not the turn described in the OP, but it is nonetheless governed by road marking which indicate that traffic must go "ahead only". Note that no such markings exist for traffic heading up Glossop Road across Hannover Way (which as you correctly point out does allow some vehicles to turn right).

http://www.thestar.co.uk/whats-on/out-and-about/taxi-driver-banned-after-knocking-cyclist-off-bike-1-2972003

Not sure if I'm honest. I think this is different as the turn in question can absolutely be made by buses (not contested by anyone), where as the turn in the article is illegal per se.

I read the Council site that if it's a turn that some people can make (eg buses), then taxis can make it too, but if it was a turn no one could make, that would be illegal to everyone.

I still await an email from the Council though in response to mine - I could be waiting a while!! :hihi:

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 13:49 ----------

Andy it's completely irrelevant my original post.

You're talking about turning exceptions for taxis in regard to bus lanes and gates. That doesn't apply in this instance.

Remember it's not exclusively taxies that are flouting the rules by turning right here.

You might be right - we might have gotten off track. :) It started about two pages ago when I think I said that whilst it was illegal for most traffic, taxis could do it, and someone disagreed, and we went from there. You know how these things go! :)

Side note - I hate it when people, including buses, make that turn. It's really irritating as it stops the traffic flow. I go that way every day, and see it every day. Annoys me no end.

Don't be flippant please; you know I meant do you have a view on the turn issue.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 13:24 ----------

I'm not sure if you've got that right.

Taxis can use all prohibited turns, except those listed at Crystal Peaks and in town.

The following vehicles can use the listed lanes and gates below. (which means all bus lanes listed on the website)

buses - No exceptions

taxis - bus lanes, prescribed and prohibited turns, bus or bus/tram gates EXCEPT Peaks Mount at Waterthorpe, adjacent to Crystal Peaks bus station, on runways B, C & D within Sheffield Transport Interchange (STI), on STI runway E (unless holding a PTE pass)

Are you talking about the same manoeuvre?

You are talking about taxis turning right from Glossop Road when outward bound, and doing the same as the bus.

Puggle is talking about turning right off Glossop Road when inbound. Nobody can do this. Buses cannot, and therefore taxis cannot piggy-back on the buses being allowed to. Nobody can turn right.

Edit. Now seen Andy's latest post. All sorted.

Are you talking about the same manoeuvre?

You are talking about taxis turning right from Glossop Road when outward bound, and doing the same as the bus.

Puggle is talking about turning right off Glossop Road when inbound. Nobody can do this. Buses cannot, and therefore taxis cannot piggy-back on the buses being allowed to. Nobody can turn right.

There's been confusion as some people are talking about outbound, some in. Inbound I completely agree, and to a large extent I agree about outbound, save for the taxi issue.

Was it really that difficult when a whole thread was based on whether a turn was legal or not (and the Council had specifically been mentioned)?

Did you really think I would be asking you whether or not you knew if the person had contacted the police? Given that that was your question, did you really think that? Why would I ask you if you knew the answer to your own question?

Or are you just being difficult? I do wonder.....

So you quote my question to Puggie:

So have you actually raised this question with SY Police?

and ask this:

As a Council worker/ex-council worker - could you give the answer to this?

And expect me to understand you want me to answer the question he posed in the OP? And then you have the cheek to say I'm being difficult???

Ask what you really mean if you want a meaningful response. I'm not a mind reader.

Not sure if I'm honest. I think this is different as the turn in question can absolutely be made by buses (not contested by anyone), where as the turn in the article is illegal per se.

I read the Council site that if it's a turn that some people can make (eg buses), then taxis can make it too, but if it was a turn no one could make, that would be illegal to everyone.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 13:49 ----------

I agree with this, but that doesn't appear to be what you said in post 29, when it was quite clear that the discussion was about ahead only traffic heading in to town from Glossop Road.

So you quote my question to Puggie:

So have you actually raised this question with SY Police?

and ask this:

And expect me to understand you want me to answer the question he posed in the OP? And then you have the cheek to say I'm being difficult???

Ask what you really mean if you want a meaningful response. I'm not a mind reader.

Do many people ask you if you can answer your own question?

Do many people ask your opinion on road related matters, given it's common knowledge that you do/did work for the Council? (Very evident, given your attitude).

Regardless, this is off topic. I assume you don't have any relevant answers and shall leave it there.

I'm afraid I disagree.

The council site is very clear to me, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

That said, as mentioned, I've emailed the Council to ask them. In two years, when they reply, we can come back to this!

PS I'm not sure why the comment about 'muddying waters' was necessary. I've said from minute one of this thread that I recalled a taxi driver telling us that this turn was allowed. I've linked to the thread, and to the Council website. This isn't muddying anything - it's giving a view that I think is correct.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 12:54 ----------

Andy, you are only correct IF there was a bus lane or gate that allowed buses to turn. There isn't one. Buses are not allowed to turn right at that junction either.

I agree with this, but that doesn't appear to be what you said in post 29, when it was quite clear that the discussion was about ahead only traffic heading in to town from Glossop Road.

Also read (and quote if you like) my post 17, where I said this was getting confused :)

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 13:55 ----------

Andy, you are only correct IF there was a bus lane or gate that allowed buses to turn. There isn't one. Buses are not allowed to turn right at that junction either.

Going into town, yep. :) Agree fully.