Illegal right turns (Glossop/Hannover junction)

What about the simple trip from say, Calver Street to Arundel Gate. You cannot even drive in a stright line down the road. Oh no, its a trip up Cambridge Street, through Cross Burgess Street and round the loop to get back to the exact same point from where you came from in order to eventually turn left!

Does that necessitate use of a car? Really?

yes, absolutely.

we can't ask / encourage people to walk or cycle a short distance across the city centre, that way madness lies.

(even this short and cherry-picked journey, is still possible by car)

here's another cherry-picked journey: the shop where i will buy my lunch today is only 200m away - yet i'll have to cross 11 (eleven!) lanes* of busy traffic to get there on foot - so i'll probably drive as it'll be easier, faster and safer.

(*none of them protected with a pedestrian crossing, and in places without the benefit of a path/pavement)

What about the simple trip from say, Calver Street to Arundel Gate. You cannot even drive in a stright line down the road. Oh no, its a trip up Cambridge Street, through Cross Burgess Street and round the loop to get back to the exact same point from where you came from in order to eventually turn left!

No wonder people get frustrated and do what they want.

My other favourite is the Hillsborough Tram Gate. If you want to go straight through in peak time, out of town, you have to turn up the hill, go right, drop onto Holme Lane, where you then can't turn right, so turn left, go down Holme Lane until you can do a U-turn down a side street, get back onto Holme Lane, then eventually turn left. It's about a mile instead of the 200 metres it would be.

But it's Sheffield Council. I'd expect nothing less.

why are you trying to drive out of town on Langsett Road? - that's what the A61 is for...

(sounds to me like the tram gate is working - if it's discouraging people from filling it up with cars during peak hours. people in cars are being mildly inconvenienced for the benefit of public tranport, well done SCC, more of this kind of thing please)

why are you trying to drive out of town on Langsett Road? - that's what the A61 is for...

(sounds to me like the tram gate is working - if it's discouraging people from filling it up with cars during peak hours. people in cars are being mildly inconvenienced for the benefit of public tranport, well done SCC, more of this kind of thing please)

Perhaps you live in Wadsley, or Oughtibridge, or just that side of Hillsborough. All places that the A61 doesn't go. I suppose you could drive down to the A61, just to drive back up Parkside, but that's also an increase in your journey length.

My other favourite is the Hillsborough Tram Gate. If you want to go straight through in peak time, out of town, you have to turn up the hill, go right, drop onto Holme Lane, where you then can't turn right, so turn left, go down Holme Lane until you can do a U-turn down a side street, get back onto Holme Lane, then eventually turn left. It's about a mile instead of the 200 metres it would be.

I'd forgotten all the people I've seen doing a right turn out of the bottom of Walkley Lane

Because I had to get to Wadsley from town. (I think it's Wadsley - that steep hill just off Langsett Road leads there).

Or you could use the nice dual carriageway that the council built to take that through traffic........