United Airlines - Would You Fly With Them.

Rules are different in the EU vs the USA.

EU I've been offered cash and a flight the next day, or a lot more than the cash equivalent in vouchers for the airline. They wanted me off a flight returning from the Hebrides to Manchester - it was basically a free flight if I took a morning redeye to Edinburgh and then to Manchester. Plus free hotel overnight - since I wanted to be in Edinburgh the next afternoon I just cancelled the train ticket I had and leapt at the chance!

USA it seems its vouchers only, and a crappy hotel if you are lucky. If you are not going to fly with them anytime soon it's an empty offer.

Of course post Brexit I suspect we will slide towards the US standards fairly quickly.

Incorrect, in the US you can demand cash as well, problem is: most people don't know about it.

That's a rather sweeping statement, have you done a survey to find that information out? They might travel as much as anyone else but not to the EU countries, the world is a big place.

Of course it`s a sweeping statement, it`s a generalisation. It`s unlikely that leaver voters travel just as much but out of Europe because traveling to countries outside the EU is usually a lot more expensive for the simple fact they`re further away. It`s a statistical fact that the better off were more likely to vote Remain.

I shall refrain from adding to this for fear of annoying SGK.....

Of course it`s a sweeping statement, it`s a generalisation. It`s unlikely that leaver voters travel just as much but out of Europe because traveling to countries outside the EU is usually a lot more expensive for the simple fact they`re further away. It`s a statistical fact that the better off were more likely to vote Remain.

I shall refrain from adding to this for fear of annoying SGK.....

Hugs and kisses Justin :love:. I was only teasing, carry on, mostly because I do love your anecdotal "facts". :hihi:

That's a rather sweeping statement, have you done a survey to find that information out? They might travel as much as anyone else but not to the EU countries, the world is a big place.

They're poor and stupid, therefore not well travelled.

The BBC told me so :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

They're poor and stupid, therefore not well travelled.

The BBC told me so :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Well it is statistically proven that the well off and the more educated were more likely to vote remain. I`d have thought they would be the people more likely to travel as well, surely ?

Then there`s my own experience, of the people I know who travel a lot, most voted to remain. Most of those who relatively rarely go abroad voted to leave. Though there were a number of exceptions in both directions.

Lastly, I`d have thought it rational that those who travel more would tend to be less nationalistic, and more bothered about the travel advantages of staying within the EU.

Though I don't condone the way he was treated to say it was worse than leaving Vietnam in the 70s......come on.

From CNN:

Dao suffered "a significant concussion as a result of disembarking that plane," Demetrio said in a news conference in Chicago.

He also lost two front teeth, has a broken nose and incurred injuries to his sinuses, and will be "undergoing reconstructive surgery in that regard," Demetrio said.

The attorney further said that Dao had conveyed to him that "being dragged down the aisle was more horrifying and harrowing than what he experienced in Vietnam" when he was on a boat after the 1975 fall of Saigon.

That treatment leading to those injuries vs being worried whilst fleeing on a boat to escape communists - yeah, I can see that being worse than leaving Vietnam in 1975.

What a PR nightmare for UA, but so thoroughly deserved ! I was 42 years in the airline business and have never heard of or seen anything like that.

The doctor was a relatively small Vietnamese man with three burly "Tough guy " policemen playing John Wayne deplaning him.

Nevertheless it is the culture of the airline that is to blame and this challenge goes right to the top. (It is the same with AA in my experience).

In the US I would recommend Delta, SWA or Jet Blue if you can

The UA CEO should resign, and the Board of Directors should all go, and take the new CEO along, to a week long, tailor made orientation "How to be a customer service oriented airline." for management.

The CEO and the Board should all forfeit a months wages towards the cost of defending the legal claim now on its way from the good doctor !

But the chances of UA becoming a "very good customer service oriented" airline are small as they have been this way for such a long time. Either the gate staff made a mistake in boarding four too many fare paying pax, or Operations Control did in not booking the four crew members with confirmed seats. Either way it could have easily been recovered with no "Evil airline publicity" by simply leaving all the boarded pax on board and chartering a small aircraft to move the crew the short distance from Chicago to Louisville. A win win for all concerned, but too easy for UA.

UA are cheap micro managers and their staff are not empowered, so they elected to go the evil airline route which will now have thousands refusing to fly with them.