Aircraft Cabin Air.

In my time I've flown many air miles but it is only today that I've heard of cabin air.

The air for the cabin apparently passes through the aircraft engine. Critics of this method, have suggested that Organophosphate (from the engine oils) contaminate the air that is breathed by the crew and passengers . Is this true ?

IT sort of does.

You need compressed air to breathe and the best source for that is from the first stage of the engine compressor. This provides high pressure bleed air from the compressor (not the fanwheels).

A typical engine being a twin spool or triple spool has bearings but they are further aft than the bleed point and they don't go past any lubrication points on the way.

As a designer/manufacturer of aircraft jet engines myself, there's no way whatsoever I'd allow my AB52.5™'s to breathe the same air as that of the stinky breath passengers when there's acres upon acres of fresh stuff outside.

Indeed, if it were the case that engines shared the same air as, for instance, easyJet passengers, the planes wouldn't be allowed to leave the ground due to the aircraft themselves being deemed unairworthy due to avionic intoxication.

As I've never heard of 'sobering-up hangars', or 'flight cancelled, due to drunken Jumbo', I find the whole idea of this sharing of air somewhat preposterous.

Edited by Alcoblog