Easter Sunday shopping?

Achorste, It's got nothing to do with religious quackery, as you put it.

It was part of the agreement when the government allowed Sunday

and 24 hour opening. It's supposed to give smaller shops a chance.

It applies to shops over a certain size.

Surely people can survive 2 days of the year without shopping.

Achorste, It's got nothing to do with religious quackery, as you put it.

It was part of the agreement when the government allowed Sunday

and 24 hour opening. It's supposed to give smaller shops a chance.

It applies to shops over a certain size.

Where did Sunday closing come from if not religious quackery?

Where did Sunday closing come from if not religious quackery?

I've no idea where the Sunday trading laws came from. The discussion, as I understand it, is about the current Easter Sunday trading laws.

---------- Post added 14-04-2017 at 18:03 ----------

I'm sure some of them small sainsbury's used to be open on Easter Sunday , but that's going back a couple of years.

They probably did/do open Amber, the law applies to stores over a certain size. I can't remember the exact size and I can't be bothered finding out, better things to do.

Whats this obsession with shopping on Sundays most shops in Europe closed on Sunday as it should be here .

Because in 2017 not everyone's lifestyle neatly fits into a 9-5 monday - friday working world.

Some people actually have things to do at the weekend other than some rose tinted delusion of everyone quietly going to church in the morning and sitting around for a sunday lunch in the afternoon.

In what is supposed to be a secular society no laws should exist that tell a private business when it should and shouldn't open just becuase of outdated demands from those worshiping some mythical sky being.

The 1994 Act was a start but didn't go far enough. Its clear that the 6 hour compromise we have now was was only after a major battle with the Trade Union rent-a-gobs, religious leaders and deluded keep sundays special brigade.

Scotland suffers no such restrictions so why should we.

Its just a day. One out of the seven. My work demands and international clients mean that my "weekend" happens to fall Sun/Mon. Some of my colleagues covering Middle East areas they have theirs even later on in the week.

Im sure my business is not alone and there will be thousands of others whose work demands cover periods 24/7 and have their own non work days at various days during the week, meaning their sunday is just a normal working day. Where is the protected status of their jobs? Why does all this fuss only seem to apply to retailers but any other Sunday workers are ignored.

The point is simple. Why the hell should I be forced to suffer the of inconveneince limited trading hours on a Sunday just because some archaic law.

Edited by ECCOnoob