What's May up to? General election 08/06/2017

I think it's fair to say that essentially implying anyone that doesn't see JC as some kind of Christ like saviour of the British working class must have been brainwashed by a shadowy cabal of right-wing media titans shows a breathtaking amount of arrogance on Anna B's part.

A fair few people just think he's crap because he's crap.

It is fair to say.

At least insofar as Anna is concerned: she means well, she really does...but is easily swayed :D

Why does it limit a party from choosing a 'No Brexit' platform?

Article 50 wasn't carved in tablets of stone and brought down from Mount Sinai by a prophet.

Don't think it will happen for a second but it could.

That's exactly what the Lib Dems should campaign on, 16 million voted Remain, give them another opportunity.

Wouldn't expect a Lib Dem victory but if they got enough seats they could hold the balance of power.

What have they got to lose?

Because they have already announced they will go for a "soft brexit" instead.

They might gain some seats but absolutely no where near enough to stop the Tories.

I wonder what dirt the Tories hold over Corbyn and Farron. Be interesting in the news in the next month.

Splitting the left or pro-EU vote by voting LD will weaken Labour further and then you'll be left with a massive Tory majority and two weak parties who can't form a credible opposition.

JN the traditional issues you raise won't be battleground arguments for this general election.

The Conservatives are hell-bent on delivering Brexit. Most people are still unaware of the Labour position on Brexit (a failure on Labour's part).

Now if you consider that large swathes of the Yorkshire & Humberside region voted in favour of Brexit, is it so radical to imagine Yorkshire voters entrusting the Tories to deliver on their Brexit dreams?

I think we're in for a shock.

that depends, an attempt to refight the brexit referendum argument is just going to reopen all the wounds again and it's hard to see how any party can focus on it without revealing too much about their negotiating aims to the european negotiators, bland generalities wont cut it in a general election.

a nice shock would be the snp making a clean sweep in scotland and a parliament where the only possible majority government would be another conservative/lib dem coalition.

Very much doubt he'll resign before the election. Any reasonable person in his position would have resigned already if they had any genuine concern for the future of the party.

The man appears delusional to me.

He was in it for the long-haul. It's just got real now. 9 weeks to save the universe. It wouldn't surprise me if he bottles it.

More likely to stay on to contest the election yes, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he jacks it in either.

Why does it limit a party from choosing a 'No Brexit' platform?

Article 50 wasn't carved in tablets of stone and brought down from Mount Sinai by a prophet.

Don't think it will happen for a second but it could.

That's exactly what the Lib Dems should campaign on, 16 million voted Remain, give them another opportunity.

Wouldn't expect a Lib Dem victory but if they got enough seats they could hold the balance of power.

What have they got to lose?

Lid Dems will win a few seats back from the Tories, but the Tories are going to win a lot of Labour seats. It wouldn't surprise me, if UKIP decide not to field any candidates.

Most of the 16 million have accepted the EU referendum result in my opinion and will see the Conservatives as the only sensible option for the UK to get a good Brexit deal.

It is fair to say.

At least insofar as Anna is concerned: she means well, she really does...but is easily swayed :D

As an appendix I would add I'm completely comfortable using "British" working class because of course Labour do not contest seats in Northern Ireland. There can be no accusation that I'm using an offensive demonym.

:)

Because they have already announced they will go for a "soft brexit" instead.

They might gain some seats but absolutely no where near enough to stop the Tories.

I wonder what dirt the Tories hold over Corbyn and Farron. Be interesting in the news in the next month.

Splitting the left or pro-EU vote by voting LD will weaken Labour further and then you'll be left with a massive Tory majority and two weak parties who can't form a credible opposition.

Well basically that's what we've got now isn't it?

If I was advising the Lib Dem's I'd suggest that they make the point that this early and unexpected election changes everything.

Previously they had no choice but to try and go for a 'soft Brexit' because those were the circumstances they were faced with.

Now that Theresa May has done a massive U turn " for purely selfish party reasons " ( that's the line to push ) it presents the electorate with an opportunity to change their mind on leaving the EU.

Having now seen some of the drawbacks and had time to mull it over would they have made a different decision it they had their time over again?

Well here it is! Your time over again, vote Lib Dem, you know it makes sense!

---------- Post added 18-04-2017 at 20:10 ----------

As an appendix I would add I'm completely comfortable using "British" working class because of course Labour do not contest seats in Northern Ireland. There can be no accusation that I'm using an offensive demonym.

:)

I think you'll find after the next referendum in Scotland those will be Caledonian working class's Jimmy! :)

Today: Deliver on Brexit. Heavy construction needed to turn our terraced property into a detached home. Only Tories can deliver on this.

Tomorrow: Remodeling the interior (NHS, taxes, welfare). All parties in the running.