What's May up to? General election 08/06/2017

For once I didn't need to feel alienated by my parochial outlook which I make no apologies for. I care about my immediate community and want the best for my country. I take comfort in things like national borders, nation states, and citizenship. I see nothing wrong with governments looking after their citizens and putting them first. In fact it should be a default expectation. So naturally the idea of Brexit sits comfortably with me.

How do you think Brexit will help you care about your community? What will change?

He may have voted as you say, but - "On 5 Feb 2013: Tim Farron voted in favour of allowing same sex couples to marry."

Just like Theresa May, he is religious, does she also vote with her religious values?

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11923/tim_farron/westmorland_and_lonsdale/divisions?policy=826

Anglicans have largely made their peace with homosexuality except in the specific case of priests. The fact that Farron apparently still struggles with it is more about him than his church.

Given how socially conservative many people who voted for brexit are trying to use his religious views to undermine him may backfire.

The reality is the Lib Dems had a big debate about this during their leadership election. He wouldn't be their leader if they thought he'd let his personal views on this matter dictate party policy.

It's not even about his personal views influencing policy. Tim is in favour of gay marriage and has fought for LGBTQ+ issues in and out of parliament as a liberal. I am told, part of the reason he abstained on the one vote was to get a change on the spousal veto. It was an act in favour of the compromise put forward by the transgender community, not an abstention on gay marriage.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 09:28 ----------

Anglicans have largely made their peace with homosexuality except in the specific case of priests. The fact that Farron apparently still struggles with it is more about him than his church.

To me, the way he struggles with it is that he doesn't like to discuss his personal faith because he doesn't think it's of relevance to his leadership of a party which is open and tolerant to people of all faiths and none.

To me, the way he struggles with it is that he doesn't like to discuss his personal faith because he doesn't think it's of relevance to his leadership of a party which is open and tolerant to people of all faiths and none.

Compartmentalisation. I don't trust it. Clegg wholeheartedly believes in social progress.

I also call this a sneeky move, the election has been called in the middle of exam time

So in one fell swoop students won't be able to get to vote

I don't think they need to worry too much about students or the young. I think Private Eye got it right where it said something along the lines of, oh this has happened and that has happened, and now brexit, but never mind eh, Adele's got a new track out on CD next week.

Edited by spilldig

I liked Clegg. I don't see how a practising theist can be honestly socially progressive. The god of Abraham has nothing to teach us about how to do right by those who are different.

I liked Clegg too, but I don't agree that people of religious faith cannot be 'progressive'. Many religions have tales which encourage tolerance, forgiveness and inclusivity.

I am actually not aware of Tim's personal views on gay sex, which IIRC was what he was asked about. But to quote the bible at him and say therefore he must hold those views as a Christian is a little bit of a stretch. I can understand why he doesn't want to get drawn into theological discussions, but perhaps he could have answered it a little better.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 10:10 ----------

Compartmentalisation. I don't trust it. Clegg wholeheartedly believes in social progress.

I'm not convinced it's compartmentalisation by the way. It seems to me that Tim's belief in liberalism is pretty consistent, and his faith is necessarily personal to him, as it is to everyone. Since he doesn't claim to be appointed by God or doing God's work, I don't think it's relevant to his leadership. Just as someone of no faith should not be required to answer for it.

...........motormouth Farron was on BBC TV this morning where he described himself as "strange" and that the public were fed up of seeing him on TV too much.........I could not agree more!..........he needs to calm down his opportunistic bullying rhetoric, as I fear he is beginning to alienate liberal supporters!...........we are not all fools Timothy!we can see what your game is!

...........motormouth Farron was on BBC TV this morning where he described himself as "strange" and that the public were fed up of seeing him on TV too much.........I could not agree more!..........he needs to calm down his opportunistic bullying rhetoric, as I fear he is beginning to alienate liberal supporters!...........we are not all fools Timothy!we can see what your game is!

Go on then, I'll bite. What's his game?