What's May up to? General election 08/06/2017

Hang on - it was only a matter of weeks ago that Theresa May rejected the call for an independence referendum for Scotland to leave the UK, saying that "it would be a distraction from the very serious Brexit negotiations".

If that's the case wouldn't a general election be a 'distraction' from the 'very serious' Brexit negotiations?

Hang on - it was only a matter of weeks ago that Theresa May rejected the call for an independence referendum for Scotland to leave the UK, saying that "it would be a distraction from the very serious Brexit negotiations".

If that's the case wouldn't a general election be a 'distraction' from the 'very serious' Brexit negotiations?

Theresa May explained the reason for the General Election, which given the expected result, should be a boost for Brexit.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 10:45 ----------

this time I will vote tactically for the party that offers the Brexit I think is best for us.

Or if it transpires there is a good chance that Brexit can be stopped then I'll vote for a party that can help deliver that.

In either scenario it's unlikely that the Tories can meet my expectations. I've never voted for them and right now I don't think that'll change because May is a poor leader, prone to u-turns, light on detail, totally focused on party management, vindictive in social policy, has attempted on more than one occasion to subvert democracy and is untrustworthy.

It's unlikely, any other party than the Tories will be negotiating Brexit, so good luck with your tactical voting.

Mrs May explained the reason for her U-Turn, which is clearly in the best interest, to achieve a good Brexit.

Edited by Lockdoctor

Compartmentalisation. I don't trust it. Clegg wholeheartedly believes in social progress.

May is a devout Anglican, its just that she hardly speaks openly, where as Farron does.

I dont know anything about Anglican views, I view all religious views as counter to logic.

Lib Dems will pickup some votes from hardline Remainers, but as you point out many original Remainers have moved on. They understand how democracy works and they've largely accepted the national outcome.

A vote for the Tories = get on with delivering a clean Brexit

A vote for the Lib Dems = unclear EU relationship, they want another referendum and continued membership of the EU Single Market with all the baggage that entails

A vote for Labour = God knows. Wake me up once they've stopped tripping over themselves.

They understand how democracy works? I didn't say they had moved on I said they thought there was no alternative.

Considering that not one single party since WW2 has formed a government with even 50% of the votes cast ( the current Conservative government achieved power with 36.9% of the votes ) I seriously doubt that many people in this country understand how democracy is supposed to work.

Of the total vote cast at the last general election 63.1% voted for parties other than the one which ended up in power that isn't democracy by any stretch of the imagination.

In the Brexit referendum the Leavers only achieved 3.8% more of the votes cast than the Remainers.

When Farage thought the result was going to be the reverse of what happened he was quick to state that if it was that close it was unfinished business and another referendum would be needed.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiZ0ParnrDTAhVhIcAKHUN9B10QFgg7MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681&usg=AFQjCNHQlqhYjL6c_QO0vlJZQbVnDUeP1Q

However, now it turned out as it did those of us who genuinely believe that Brexit will cause enormous damage to the country and the future of our children are being asked to ' get over it' .

That's not democracy either people are allowed their view and to act upon it if a situation presents itself to do so in a lawful manner.

This is just such a situation.

May is a devout Anglican, its just that she hardly speaks openly, where as Farron does.

I dont know anything about Anglican views, I view all religious views as counter to logic.

She does however openly state her religious beliefs which is an actual reason to ask her about it. And she apparently is much less in favour of equality, for whatever reason.

She voted against the repeal of section 28, she voted against gay adoption, she was abesent on all 4 votes of the gender recognition act, she voted in favour of a (defeated) bill to require a male role model for IVF.

She does however openly state her religious beliefs which is an actual reason to ask her about it. And she apparently is much less in favour of equality, for whatever reason.

She voted against the repeal of section 28, she voted against gay adoption, she was abesent on all 4 votes of the gender recognition act, she voted in favour of a (defeated) bill to require a male role model for IVF.

You'd expect that from a Tory though, and that's fine, people can support what they like, but you would expect a Liberal to be, well erm, liberal...and he's not when it comes to religion and homosexuality. Sadly, it's people like me the LDs need to attract, I'm more aligned with Corbyn's Labour than LD but equally want a strong opposition and would consider LD this time around, but if they aren't actually liberal then we've got a bit of an issue.

I have absolutely no idea what to do in June at the moment :(

You'd expect that from a Tory though, and that's fine, people can support what they like, but you would expect a Liberal to be, well erm, liberal...and he's not when it comes to religion and homosexuality. Sadly, it's people like me the LDs need to attract, I'm more aligned with Corbyn's Labour than LD but equally want a strong opposition and would consider LD this time around, but if they aren't actually liberal then we've got a bit of an issue.

I have absolutely no idea what to do in June at the moment :(

Is there any suggestion from his actions that he isn't liberal? I'll repeat it, he voted in favour of gay marriage on five separate occasions.

In an interview with Pink News he said this:

Why did you vote against the Programme Motion on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act, alongside a number of Conservatives who were trying to block equality?

I can’t police who comes through the lobby with me.

There was a whole bunch of issues where we were just not there yet. The whole point of the programme motion is it’s limiting the time for discussion.

I voted in favour at second reading and voted against the programme motion because it was important there was time to discuss trans issues [ Spousal veto] the and other very important issues – and there were two ‘conscience clause’ amendments.

I voted around the equal marriage bill in ways that I thought were basically liberal. What is regrettable is that people will draw their own conclusions, and assume that because you didn’t vote for it, you don’t support equal marriage.

I’ve made it quite clear I would vote for third reading now, and I probably should have done at the time. I thought issues hadn’t been covered properly – there was a whole range of things about protections, conscience objections for minority groups that have problems with equal marriage. I think fundamentally, it wasn’t sufficiently equal.

My clear view is that equal marriage needs to be equal marriage.

He also said:

...when it comes to the equal marriage legislation, I think we really missed a trick on trans issues. On the spousal veto, I think it’s an appalling thing that one person is allowed to block another person’s freedom. We should be making that a priority.

Is there any suggestion from his actions that he isn't liberal? I'll repeat it, he voted in favour of gay marriage on five separate occasions.

In an interview with Pink News he said this:

He also said:

That's a different slant, but it's a bit like the reasons that vile man Phillip Davies who tries to block domestic violence laws because they don't protect men or some other drivel. Support what's in front of you if it's right and fight for the other things another day, don't block and await perfection as it'll never happen.

Theresa May explained the reason for the General Election, which given the expected result, should be a boost for Brexit.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 10:45 ----------

It's unlikely, any other party than the Tories will be negotiating Brexit, so good luck with your tactical voting.

Mrs May explained the reason for her U-Turn, which is clearly in the best interest, to achieve a good Brexit.

We don't know it's a good Brexit she is planning. I am much more hopeful now after listening to Rudd last night but will reserve judgement on whether it is good or not when I hear the details.