What's May up to? General election 08/06/2017

That's a different slant, but it's a bit like the reasons that vile man Phillip Davies who tries to block domestic violence laws because they don't protect men or some other drivel. Support what's in front of you if it's right and fight for the other things another day, don't block and await perfection as it'll never happen.

I think the second part is separate from the first. I think the point in parliament is to generate good legislation. As an MP you should do your best to get the best legislation you can - in my view that was what Tim was doing.

The other part is the question of Tim's motivation. It is clear to me that he

a) is a loud and virulent supporter of not only gay marriage but wider LGBTQ+ issues.

b) wasn't motivated to block gay marriage in his actions.

c) is a passionate liberal and gives answers to questions which are consistently liberal.

The other part is the question of Tim's motivation. It is clear to me that he

a) is a loud and virulent supporter of not only gay marriage but wider LGBTQ+ issues.

b) wasn't motivated to block gay marriage in his actions.

c) is a passionate liberal and gives answers to questions which are consistently liberal.

Fair enough, but yesterday I watched him on television refusing to say that he did not think homosexuality is a sin.

Theresa May explained the reason for the General Election, which given the expected result, should be a boost for Brexit.
Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, once you excerpt all the platitudes out.

If May doesn't hold an election now, the next election is due in May 2020. What will the UK political landscape look like then?

1. Either Brexit negotiations conclude on schedule, and by then the UK has just completed its first year or so outside the EU. Some people are upset because Brexit was not as hard as they wanted. Others are upset because Brexit was harder than they wanted. And many people are upset because, although they voted for Brexit, they now have to live with the consequences of their decision and they are looking for someone to blame for that. Still others are upset because they are having to live with a Brexit that they always oppposed, and they blame the Tories for this.

All in all, there's lots of upset going around, and this is maybe not the best time (from the incumbent's point of view) to have an election.

May was a remainer during the Brexit campaign. Unless she was lying through her teeth, we can conclude that she thinks Brexit is, on balance, bad for the UK and that the UK will be worse off in three years' time than it is today.

2. Or Brexit negotations don't conclude on schedule, but get extended. That's even worse, because it means negotiations have not gone well, there has been friction. If the negotiations are still ongoing, the government looks incompetent plus there is still uncertainty about how all this will end. Again, not a great time to be an incumbent facing into an election.

So, the main point of holding the elections now is so that you don't have to go to the people again until June 2022, three years or so after Brexit implementation, with enough time for some of the Brexit-related discontent to dissipate, and for new issues to come to centre stage.

Edited by L00b

Theresa May is not to be trusted in any way, shape, or form.

She is not changing her mind on issues, it is just that she was lying in the first place.

She now considers that Corbyn has done enough damage to Labour as to make them unelectable.

The Liberals are too weak from their unholy alliance with Cameron that a comeback is impossible.

She is seeking to consolidate her position now, by taking advantage of the voters, who have proven themselves to be ovine in their support.

We are as good as done up if she gets her way with no opposition.

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, once you excerpt all the platitudes out.

If May doesn't hold an election now, the next election is due in May 2020. What will the UK political landscape look like then?

1. Either Brexit negotiations conclude on schedule, and by then the UK has just completed its first year or so outside the EU. Some people are upset because Brexit was not as hard as they wanted. Others are upset because Brexit was harder than they wanted. And many people are upset because, although they voted for Brexit, they now have to live with the consequences of their decision and they are looking for someone to blame for that. Still others are upset because they are having to live with a Brexit that they always oppposed, and they blame the Tories for this.

All in all, there's lots of upset going around, and this is maybe not the best time (from the incumbent's point of view) to have an election.

May was a remainer during the Brexit campaign. Unless she was lying through her teeth, we can conclude that she thinks Brexit is, on balance, bad for the UK and that the UK will be worse off in three years' time than it is today.

2. Or Brexit negotations don't conclude on schedule, but get extended. That's even worse, because it means negotiations have not gone well, there has been friction. If the negotiations are still ongoing, the government looks incompetent plus there is still uncertainty about how all this will end. Again, not a great time to be an incumbent facing into an election.

So, the main point of holding the elections now is so that you don't have to go to the people again until June 2022, three years or so after Brexit implementation, with enough time for some of the Brexit-related discontent to dissipate, and for new issues to come to centre stage.

You obviously didn't listen to what Theresa May said, when she announced her intention to hold a General Election.

I've never voted Tory in my life and never will.

Labour are totally finished as a political force and are currently unelectable.

The Lib Dems jumped into bed with the Tories for a power grab so they won't get my vote.

The way the electoral system is set up means that minor parties cannot get a look in and any that do come to the fore are hammered as cranks by the press.

Landslide for the Tory party and more misery for the downtrodden in a country that has become undemocratic.