What's May up to? General election 08/06/2017

Fair enough, but yesterday I watched him on television refusing to say that he did not think homosexuality is a sin.

As far as I know, he hasn't told anyone his personal belief on that. He answered awkwardly I agree, but I can see why he answered in the way he did for a few reasons.

The basis of the question is an assumption that his beliefs are what he will legislate for or influence the way he treats people. Belief in sin is not the same as believing that the state should legislate against sin, or indeed that you should treat 'sinners' any differently. Therefore his personal belief is irrelevant in that regard. His faith doesn't mandate him to implement it in government so why is he being asked about it? He has sound reasons not to be drawn into an unnecessary side channel debate (some have called it a witch hunt) about his faith rather than his policies and actions. Nobody has asked the same question of Sadiq Khan.

A simple yes/no answer from him, to whether gay sex (which was what he was asked) is sinful isn't helpful to anyone. I suspect, although I don't know, that he takes a fairly nuanced view on the subject in light of his faith. He said clearly that he believes that all of us are sinners - the doctrine of original sin is fairly central to evangelicals, as far as I understand. So if in Christian faith homosexuality does not have a special place amongst sins, then it follows that evangelicals would/should not condemn homosexuality above any other sins. Since all of us are sinners then I suppose (and I'm making my own assumptions here) he wouldn't want to be drawn in passing judgement, perhaps considering himself unworthy to do so - consistent with his belief.

The other part of the basis of him being asked the question seems to infer that his faith is somehow inconsistent with his politics. It seems to me entirely consistent that if he believes that none is above any other, that his faith demands tolerance not judgement, and that everyone is theologically equal; he would be a liberal.

A big chunk of voters will vote for the party that they believe will get the best brexit deal, I know while I will look at the various party manifestos it will be mainly down to brexit I'll make my decision on and so far theres only one party that gives me any confidence they can get a good deal and thats the Torys, so unless the others have anything good to say on it they get my vote.

Hang on - it was only a matter of weeks ago that Theresa May rejected the call for an independence referendum for Scotland to leave the UK, saying that "it would be a distraction from the very serious Brexit negotiations".

If that's the case wouldn't a general election be a 'distraction' from the 'very serious' Brexit negotiations?

Theresa May explained the reason for the General Election, which given the expected result, should be a boost for Brexit.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 10:45 ----------

It's unlikely, any other party than the Tories will be negotiating Brexit, so good luck with your tactical voting.

Mrs May explained the reason for her U-Turn, which is clearly in the best interest, to achieve a good Brexit.

Rather convenient.

I suspect that she had it mind to have an early election when she became leader, despite her denials. And I suppose her reasons for not wanting a TV debate is that it would be a distraction to the Brexit negotiations.

Edited by Mister M

A big chunk of voters will vote for the party that they believe will get the best brexit deal, I know while I will look at the various party manifestos it will be mainly down to brexit I'll make my decision on and so far theres only one party that gives me any confidence they can get a good deal and thats the Torys, so unless the others have anything good to say on it they get my vote.

I'm making assumptions here Nervy but I'm shocked at any working class person voting Tory and are manifesto's worth anything, they rarely stick to them. They should be made legally binding.

I've never voted Tory in my life and never will.

Labour are totally finished as a political force and are currently unelectable.

The Lib Dems jumped into bed with the Tories for a power grab so they won't get my vote.

The way the electoral system is set up means that minor parties cannot get a look in and any that do come to the fore are hammered as cranks by the press.

Landslide for the Tory party and more misery for the downtrodden in a country that has become undemocratic.

I agree with this. I'm frustrated that Labour, the Lib Dems and the Greens (maybe even UKIP) haven't decided to tear up the first past the post system. There is a way of doing this: whichever party came second to the Tories in 2015 stands as the only opposition party, on a simple platform to form a coalition government to pass one piece of legislation only, which would be legislation to introduce proportional representation. After which, parliament dissolved and another general election held under PR.

That way a more democratic process is restored and people get what they actually voted for. The Labour Party can then split, which it urgently needs to do, without handing the Tories a perpetual majority in parliament. We're becoming a one party state and it needs to be ended.

I agree with this. I'm frustrated that Labour, the Lib Dems and the Greens (maybe even UKIP) haven't decided to tear up the first past the post system. There is a way of doing this: whichever party came second to the Tories in 2015 stands as the only opposition party, on a simple platform to form a coalition government to pass one piece of legislation only, which would be legislation to introduce proportional representation. After which, parliament dissolved and another general election held under PR.

That way a more democratic process is restored and people get what they actually voted for. The Labour Party can then split, which it urgently needs to do, without handing the Tories a perpetual majority in parliament. We're becoming a one party state and it needs to be ended.

Exactly Bob and your last line speaks volumes, its a pretty scary place to be in quite honestly.

We had a referendum on changing the voting system and we voted no, so obviously that decision stands as the will of the people that we want to retain FPTP in perpetuity. ;)

That's a superb idea and I'd fully support that even if it meant voting UKIP one off to achieve it.

We had a referendum on changing the voting system and we voted no, so obviously that decision stands as the will of the people that we want to retain FPTP in perpetuity. ;)

It was a half-arsed vote that the senior coalition partners (the Tories) deliberately played down so that they got the outcome they wanted. And things have changed since then with the meltdown of the Labour Party.