What's May up to? General election 08/06/2017

Theresa May said she changed her mind on holiday before Easter, I have no reason not to disbelieve her.

The leaders debates worked well the first time in 2010, with just the three leaders. The problem now is all the minority party leaders now want to get involved and they become a shouting contest. Theresa May regularly debates with Corbyn in the House of Parliament, meaning the electorate have had plenty of time to judge, which one of them is most suitable to hold the position of Prime Minister.

But there have been PM Question Times for many years. And leaders of minority parties have always wanted to join in the leaders debates ever since they came into being

Nothing to tell. I thought you might not have heard the announcement.

There was a real political analyst on the lunchtime news today, who said it made sense for the Government in charge of negotiating Brexit, to be in power for the three years after Brexit because there would still be issues with the EU to resolve during that period.

Was that analyst repeating what Ms May said yesterday?

I have to ask, since he's obviously come to the same conclusion as me, but about which you've accused me of 'not listening to what Theresa May said':

<...>

So, the main point of holding the elections now is so that you don't have to go to the people again until June 2022, three years or so after Brexit implementation, with enough time for some of the Brexit-related discontent to dissipate, and for new issues to come to centre stage.

You obviously didn't listen to what Theresa May said, when she announced her intention to hold a General Election.
:rolleyes::lol:

By the way, this is what she had to said about Brexit negotiations:

"If we do not hold a general election now their political game-playing will continue, and the negotiations with the European Union will reach their most difficult stage in the run-up to the next scheduled election.
conveniently misrepresenting the fact that these "negotiations with the European Union" would reach their most difficult stage prior to March 2019 and be done and dusted by just over a year, by the time the May 2020 GE arrives. Edited by L00b

We'll see what the manifesto says, but I'm pretty sure the Tory line on the single market is not the least bit flexible - it's out of the single market. That's one of the reasons May called the election; complaining that Tim Farron had accused her of not having a mandate to leave the single market.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 14:03 ----------

We will.I seem to think she is open to staying in but I'll see what they say. If I had to choose though I'd pick the party saying we are going to leave the single market rather than stay anyway so it wouldn't sway my vote

And you see it when it gets you the result you want.

With this election will come a massive endorsement for hard (i.e. not fake) Brexit. You should prepare now, your preposterous excuses as to why it shouldn't count.

Do you really think a choice between hard brexit or Corbyn as PM is going to be a mandate for hard brexit (as opposed to a rejection of the idea of Corbyn as a PM)?

If she really want's a mandate for hard brexit she should give us a poll detailing various forms of brexit and see which one we choose.

Do you really think a choice between hard brexit or Corbyn as PM is going to be a mandate for hard brexit (as opposed to a rejection of the idea of Corbyn as a PM)?

If she really want's a mandate for hard brexit she should give us a poll detailing various forms of brexit and see which one we choose.

But then presumably she'd need to run the poll with an alternative vote system, because if say there were 4 options then hard brexit might get 30% but those other 3 options (not hard brexit) would have 70%.

And you see it when it gets you the result you want.

With this election will come a massive endorsement for hard (i.e. not fake) Brexit. You should prepare now, your preposterous excuses as to why it shouldn't count.

Why do you want to see your country reduced to beggary?

It is not too late to save the country even now. But if we keep this trash bag of a government, and this dire opposition it soon will be.

But then presumably she'd need to run the poll with an alternative vote system, because if say there were 4 options then hard brexit might get 30% but those other 3 options (not hard brexit) would have 70%.

Whatever would need to be done to make it representative.

The point is, it would at least be a vote about the sort of brexit we wanted and not muddy the waters by mixing in all the other things people consider when voting in a general election.