We will, we will rock you .or is it rob you.

the first glastonbury was only £1

the times are a changin'

Actually, the Pilton Festival in 1970 was free ;)

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 13:11 ----------

I saw the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park in the 60's and it was free.

They did a free show in Cuba not all that long ago. The one in Rio was free as well I believe.

Queen did a free show in Hyde Park in the seventies too.

Bon Jovi did a free show in Spain recently.

I saw Kasabian play a free show in Milan a few years ago.

Edited by MamboNo5

It has

just been announced that my favourite band ever, Queen ,are to appear (without the King obviously) at Sheffield Arena on Dec 8th.

"Wow" thinks me a chance to see this amazing group again (the last time was a Elland Road Leeds seeing Freddy at his very best) .

Then! I looked at the price of a ticket , it is the grand sum of £88 ,a sum that excludes me straight away.

So this has got me thinking is general entertainment now just for the well off in our society ,I mean look at our local football clubs charging £30 plus for some matches (if this involves a family of three or four then its a no go for most people).

Then we have our theatres where the cost of tickets are rising by the month once again meaning that the families that would benefit most from attending the arts are priced right out of contention .

So( just as is now the case in other walks of life )is entertainment and the chance to see our heroes just for the rich

They'll sell out very quickly though. They'll probably should've charged £100

They'll sell out very quickly though. They'll probably should've charged £100

Exactly. Free market capitalism. If 12,000 people snap up tickets at £88 they are clearly 'worth' £88.

Millions of people buy Fred Perry polos at £55 each. Are they worth £55, really? In scrap terms? Nope.

Guest makapaka
It seems as though no one has actually answered the O.P. is the top entertainment industry now available only to the well off.

Well no - but it helps if you are. £88 is a rip off but it's probably only about £20 more than taking your kid to a football match.

It seems as though no one has actually answered the O.P. is the top entertainment industry now available only to the well off.

Possibly.

Tickets for Queen at Wembley were £14.50 in 1986. In simple purchasing power terms that's about £39 at today's prices.

Bruno Mars, a major artist, is charging £42 at the Sheffield Arena this year.

Considering I saw Celine Dion at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago for $99 that does sound incredibly expensive for Sheffield Arena!!

However, if you really really want to see them then maybe it is worth it.

Who? :hihi:

But yes, tickets are very expensive for some bands and £88 to see Queen without Freddy is a rip off.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 14:53 ----------

Well no - but it helps if you are. £88 is a rip off but it's probably only about £20 more than taking your kid to a football match.

Adult match prices £27, children under 18 £12 so its a lot more.

Who? :hihi:

But yes, tickets are very expensive for some bands and £88 to see Queen without Freddy is a rip off.

---------- Post added 19-04-2017 at 14:53 ----------

Adult match prices £27, children under 18 £12 so its a lot more.

£88 is expensive. If it sells out it was good business though.

It seems everything these days is reserved for the well off amongst us.

Up until a relatively few years ago we were heading towards a more egalitarian society.

Then it all went awry at some point in the 1980's.

Since then, apart from a brief period about the turn of the century, things have just got worse.

And now we are as we find ourselves, reduced to conditions almost Victorian, but without the status that the country had internationally in those days.