Snake owners in Crookesmoor, Walkely, Hillsborough, Central area

onewheeldave

Just wondering if there are any snake owners in Crookesmoor, Walkely, Hillsborough, Central areas who'd like to meet up and talk reptiles?

I've got a very nice Royal Python, quite small at about 30cm, and am looking into getting another snake, probably something bigger.

Not necessarily a bigger species, but just more grown on. Been considering Irian Java Python, Carpet Python, maybe a King snake.

What I'd like to do is see, and hopefully handle, a few different types, and talk to the owners about temperament, care, set-ups etc.

(Also, would love to see a blue-tongued skink)

While I've only got the one snake, I do also have 3 axolotls, 4 toads and a African Pigmy Hedgehog.

Reply to this post or om me if anyone's interested in sharing their snake experience.

Do you know Attercliffe go to The Snake Shop it is on the main road towards Meadowhall opposite a chip shop and neat to a prestige car sales room the people who own it know all about snakes I've had acorn ahognose and royal off them all over ten years old and still going strong what they don't know about snakes isn't worth knowing! Very helpful and they will guide you without pushing you into buying anything john the owner has bred various breeds of snakes for years he will let you handle them

---------- Post added 21-04-2017 at 21:27 ----------

Oh I fogot they've got a blue tongued skink it's the shop pet they'll let you handle that too it is a friendly soul

Do you know Attercliffe go to The Snake Shop it is on the main road towards Meadowhall opposite a chip shop and neat to a prestige car sales room the people who own it know all about snakes I've had acorn ahognose and royal off them all over ten years old and still going strong what they don't know about snakes isn't worth knowing! Very helpful and they will guide you without pushing you into buying anything john the owner has bred various breeds of snakes for years he will let you handle them

---------- Post added 21-04-2017 at 21:27 ----------

Oh I fogot they've got a blue tongued skink it's the shop pet they'll let you handle that too it is a friendly soul

Yes- I got my python from the snake shop. I was very impressed by the fact that I picked out several several items for decoration, water bowls etc, and John said I didn't need such pricey ones, and picked out cheaper versions for me :)

That's rare in businesses these days, and, as a result, they've had my custom ever since. Plus, as you say, they're very knowledgeable about snakes.

Unfortunately, they've not currently got a big selection of larger snakes, though I did recently handle their Irian jaya python.

And I did get to meet John's Blue Tongue Skink a few weeks back- very nice little fellow :)

---------- Post added 22-04-2017 at 12:34 ----------

Nowhere near that area but just thought I'd comment anyway, after having hundreds of reptiles and arachnids in the past I can honestly say that Carpet Pythons have been my most favoured pet, I love them :thumbsup:

Did that include any Irian Java Pythons? How did they compare to the other carpets (other than being a bit smaller)?

In particular, do the Irians tend to come out in the viv? My Royal spends most of the day in his hide and I'd like my next snake to be a bit more of a display snake. I hear the carpets tend to like being out of the hides and perching on logs- wondering if that applies to the Irian Javas.

Irian Jayas and Jungle Carpet Pythons have almost identical temperaments in my experience, although they can have differing personalities, obviously if size is an issue you are best off with the Irian Jaya, either way you will love them, and yes they love being out and active, mine used to coil round my neck and stay there all day without ever tightening up.