4 more bank holidays!

I'd rather judge governments on what actually happens, not conjecture of what might occur.

Well the fist bit has actually already happened, and that is the creation of the preconditions for the UK breaking up and for economic catastrophe.

All that remains if for May to take the few short steps towards making it reality.

---------- Post added 23-04-2017 at 19:34 ----------

Economists are unlikely to endorse the idea of further bank holidays, not least when productivity levels in Britain are significantly lower than other leading economies.

Sorry Jeremy, I'm going to play it safe and decline the offer of sweets. It's what my mother taught me.

On the contrary some economists make a case for 3 or 4 day working weeks or for much shortened working hours.

The national debt is why there is no more money to give to the NHS, schools and benefits, there has never been so much money spent on all of those. Schools used to just have a classroom teacher when I was a kid now every classroom has a teacher and an assistant, the NHS is burdened with an ageing population and every government for the past 20 years knew what was happening but did nothing about it, as a society we try to keep people alive at great cost with zero quality of life, let's not even get started on benefits.

Businesses are cutthroat there is pressure on everyone to walk harder, smarter and be more efficient, most peoples earnings will have stagnated, but the reality is people generally have never been so well off, go outside and take a look.

Most of benefits are given to people in work! Business isn't cut throat, its greedy and lazy! People have never been so well off? Why does every supermarket have a donation for food banks? People are struggling and the torys keep taking from them with this endless austerity scam, as if it's their fault that the economy went t1ts up in 2008, when we all know it was the banks fault!

Well the fist bit has actually already happened, and that is the creation of the preconditions for the UK breaking up and for economic catastrophe.

All that remains if for May to take the few short steps towards making it reality.

The UK has already broken up? I must have missed that.

Most of benefits are given to people in work! Business isn't cut throat, its greedy and lazy! People have never been so well off? Why does every supermarket have a donation for food banks? People are struggling and the torys keep taking from them with this endless austerity scam, as if it's their fault that the economy went t1ts up in 2008, when we all know it was the banks fault!

Because some people are generous and have enough money and some to spare, donating makes people feel better.

Because some people are generous and have enough money and some to spare, donating makes people feel better.

Dear oh dear, that really is clutching at straws.

More and more people are needing foodbanks, and with inflation on the up and wages going down, that will increase, as will homelessness etc.

---------- Post added 23-04-2017 at 20:50 ----------

Well said.

Well said Bonzo.

Dear oh dear, that really is clutching at straws.

More and more people are needing foodbanks, and with inflation on the up and wages going down, that will increase, as will homelessness etc.

---------- Post added 23-04-2017 at 20:50 ----------

Well said.

NEED or CHOOSE. There is a big difference.

I have to ask, IF the food banks were not there, would they starve to death or perhaps prioritise their money more? Are these people using them through absolute desparation or simply to take advantage because they can?

People survived perfectly well without them not too many years ago. Why this sudden necessity.

Its certainly not as simple as blaming inflation and the nasty tories all the time. Jesus, we have had far worse inflation than this and now have a copious supply of pile it high sell it cheap food from a abundance of discount stores and supermarkets that those on a low income could have only dreamed about 20-30 years ago.

I have not always had a reasonable income and neither did my family. When I was growing up as one of four kids my mum worked short hours on low pay. She could not afford to go to supermarkets filling up a trolley back then. There were no pound shops or discount megastores. She got her pay packet one day buying what food she could afford to. She cooked very economically and made everything she bought count. Everything was stretched and little was wasted. Its what people managed to do perfectly well for decades.

I makes me so angry when those on low income bang on about so called "poverty" and so called "hardship" as if its some new concept all the fault of the current government. Times have ALWAYS been hard for the lowest earners. The difference is, unlike some people today, they didn't go to the nanny state for handouts expecting their lives to be handed to them on a plate.

Edited by ECCOnoob

If you know anyone connected to the main food bank on our manor, ask them why they're never open to accept donations. I tried every Monday for month with no joy. I gave it somewhere else in the end.

---------- Post added 23-04-2017 at 19:34 ----------

On the contrary some economists make a case for 3 or 4 day working weeks or for much shortened working hours.

We had 3-4 day work weeks, short working weeks in 1974 under Edward Heath's Tory government.