4 more bank holidays!

Pinochet Day

To be fair America has Columbus Day so they started the trend for celebrating mass murder.

But on topic, this has to be one of the most lazy vote grabbing policies ever though of. It's almost like Labour thought well we can't promise any more tax cuts so this'll have to do. Then again the Tories stating they will dismantle the competitive market of utility suppliers by bringing in caps is also fairly desperate.

Edited by sgtkate

To be fair America has Columbus Day so they started the trend for celebrating mass murder.

But on topic, this has to be one of the most lazy vote grabbing policies ever though of. It's almost like Labour thought well we can't promise any more tax cuts so this'll have to do. Then again the Tories stating they will dismantle the competitive market of utility suppliers by bringing in caps is also fairly desperate.

My bold. Agreed. Also, the idea that 4 bank holidays on the Saints' days will "unite the country" is utterly laughable - where on earth did he get that idea?

Has he (or his advisors) thought through the economic implications? For the large proportion of the population to whom bank holidays are another working day but may get enhanced pay for it, will the employers be able to afford the bill? Or will it be further opportunity to push the idea that weekends and bank holidays are normal working days and not worthy of pay enhancements any more?

I was leaning towards Corbyn after months of doubt until he announced this.

I dont know, labour have had some doozies over the years, the child trust fund thing ("free money, get your free money here") and little eds plan to guarentee every young person in the country a job. Noble, perhaps but, really!?!?!?

I dont know, labour have had some doozies over the years, the child trust fund thing ("free money, get your free money here") and little eds plan to guarentee every young person in the country a job. Noble, perhaps but, really!?!?!?

The Tories' let the top 26,000 wealthy families in the country keep their money, in their inheritance tax giveaway.

I dont believe in high taxes, but a tax break for the richest 0.04% of the population of England and Wales; does show who the Tories are looking after.

My bold. Agreed. Also, the idea that 4 bank holidays on the Saints' days will "unite the country" is utterly laughable - where on earth did he get that idea?

Has he (or his advisors) thought through the economic implications? For the large proportion of the population to whom bank holidays are another working day but may get enhanced pay for it, will the employers be able to afford the bill? Or will it be further opportunity to push the idea that weekends and bank holidays are normal working days and not worthy of pay enhancements any more?

I was leaning towards Corbyn after months of doubt until he announced this.

The only thing I can find that Jeremy actually said on these bank holidays is contained within less than a minute of a 25 minute interview on the Andrew Marr show, the gist of which was, we have less public holidays of anywhere in Europe, it would be good for people to spend more time with their families wouldn't it, and the Bank of England has said it will be swings and roundabouts as far as cost goes, as lost productivity will be balanced by increased spending on the public holidays (their figures.)

The press and media are very ready to use words like 'he Pledges,' 'Vows' and 'Promises' whenever Mr Corbyn simply suggests anything. Can I remind people that the Labour manifesto is not yet published and we'll have to wait and see what makes it into the final document. But you can be assured whatever is in it will have been well discussed, costed, and a joint decision. That's how Jeremy works.

Edited by Anna B

The press and media are very ready to use words like 'he Pledges,' 'Vows' and 'Promises' whenever Mr Corbyn simply suggests anything. Can I remind people that the Labour manifesto is not yet published and we'll have to wait and see what makes it into the final document. But you can be assured whatever is in it will have been well discussed, costed, and a joint decision. That's how Jeremy works.

Bobbins. Any time a football manager says something about thats a pledge. A minor celeb has a bash at giving up drugs - thats always a vow. Im sure Blair, Cmaeron and everyone gets quoted as vowing this, pledging that. Obviously if any of the above criticises anyone, they give them a "blast" in media land. Most people can see through it.

But it wont be a few more days off for the vast majority of "workers" whom Compo claims to be the voice of.

What about all those people who have to work each and every bank holiday as part of thier normal shifts. You know, those people who work in essential services such as healthcare, police and telecoms, broadcast and other essential utilities.

What about all the other staff that have to work so we can selfishly enjoy our extra days off, its hardly a surprise that the masses like to spend their bank holdays doing things like Shopping, Dining out, watching sports, drinking or visiting attractions.

So, that obviously requires transport workers, hospitality workers, retail workers, chefs, bar staff, stewards, ground staff, security...

Maybe if everything was closed down like Christmas Day and Easter on bank holidays the wider populus might not be so keen then on their "extra" holidays.

Lets get real here. Its a typical desprate soundbite from a failing politician.

Its means nothing and will come to nothing.

I have never been particuarly happy with being forced to take national holidays at a time when everyone else is off and when I dont necessarilly want to. I certainly have never been of the opinion that such enforced holiday is even necessary in the modern world.

The days of the great works closing down for the summer are long gone. Perhaps Corbyn and his Trotsky club need to get with the times.

If I had my way I would much rather employees get an increased minimum holiday allowance to use when THEY want to use them.

"Bank Holidays" (at a push, with the exception of limited relgious events) should really be a part of history.

They all get the bank holidays as part of their holiday entitlement, they just won't necessarily get to take them on a Bank Holiday... which may not be a bad thing.

Bobbins. Any time a football manager says something about thats a pledge. A minor celeb has a bash at giving up drugs - thats always a vow. Im sure Blair, Cmaeron and everyone gets quoted as vowing this, pledging that. Obviously if any of the above criticises anyone, they give them a "blast" in media land. Most people can see through it.

I think a 'pledge' etc from a politician is a bit more serious than from a football manager, especially in a run up to an election. I'm not sure they do hold other politicians to account like this every time they open their mouths. Theresa May seems to get away with it most of the time.