UKIP's new policy - force Muslim girls to have intimate examinations

Enjoy your holiday, miss...and by the way when you get back, Paul Nuttall wants to see your vagina.

think that comment says more about you than it does about anyone else

---------- Post added 24-04-2017 at 20:23 ----------

Well when I started the thread I wasn't aware that Diane Abbott had proposed it earlier, in 2014. If she was asserting that there should be blanket routine checks of 'at risk' children - I don't agree that's the answer. So logically I don't agree with UKIP's proposal....

Just to go back to my original question Hackey lad, I just thought it strange that of all policies, UKIP should highlight this one to the media. I guess it's because, like most people, I'm used to debates about law and order, education spending etc etc....that teachers already have a responsibility to report their suspicions to the police. Also I was curious as to what motivated it.

why this one was highlighted , I have no idea but it is a problem that if any other party highlighted it , it would probably lead to reasoned discussion . just to add I am not a ukip supporter

Edited by hackey lad

think that comment says more about you than it does about anyone else

---------- Post added 24-04-2017 at 20:23 ----------

why this one was highlighted , I have no idea but it is a problem that if any other party highlighted it , it would probably lead to reasoned discussion . just to add I am not a ukip supporter

Okay, cards on the table. I'm just cynical as to why this was highlighted in the election debate....I guess it just seems jarring that something so sensitive is subject to political knockabout.

I don't want to impugn that UKIP supporters / politicians are any less sensitive than any other party - but perhaps, given their previous form, it was always going to be viewed with cynicism.

If the Government had prosecuted a few people in recent years as they promised for association with FGM. This problem would not need' compulsory' examinations to weasel out the people connected with this barbarism.

Don't think compulsory will ever work, but its a subject that needs rational discussion.

The practice needs to be put to an end.

Be interesting to hear what the Lib/Lab/Cons have to say about this subject.

It isn't ony Doctors. Teachers and others have an individual responsibility to report suspicions of FGM. They can be prosecuted if they don't.

I posted this link a minute ago, but it is on the bottom of the previous page. Well worth a read.

It seems that these guidelines are no more than the written equivalent of hot air as there hasn't been a single conviction in this country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37364079

Guest sibon
It seems that these guidelines are no more than the written equivalent of hot air as there hasn't been a single conviction in this country.

The guidelines are pretty new, they have been in force for roughly a year, so things might improve.

When the first prosecutions of Doctors or teachers happen, then I think you will see things change fairly quickly.

The answer lies in making these regulations work, not in allowing the state to abuse children.

Okay, cards on the table. I'm just cynical as to why this was highlighted in the election debate....I guess it just seems jarring that something so sensitive is subject to political knockabout.

I don't want to impugn that UKIP supporters / politicians are any less sensitive than any other party - but perhaps, given their previous form, it was always going to be viewed with cynicism.

no problem but just a thought, who highlighted it , Ukip or the media ?

There's been one conviction and bizarrely it was against a doctor. I'd like to provide the link but as yet I've had no luck with this phone sorry. Even so one in over 30 years isn't good.

no problem but just a thought, who highlighted it , Ukip or the media ?

From the link the FGM story is one part of UKIPs 3 pronged approach to an integration agenda:

a burka ban, FGM checks in schools and a ban on new Islamic faith schools.

There's been one conviction and bizarrely it was against a doctor. I'd like to provide the link but as yet I've had no luck with this phone sorry. Even so one in over 30 years isn't good.

You may be thinking of Dr Dhanuson Dharmasena, who was mistakenly prosecuted but acquitted.

By getting it so wrong, the CPS caused more harm than good.

There has been no conviction for FGM in the UK.

Edited by cgksheff

You may be thinking of Dr Dhanuson Dharmasena, who was mistakenly prosecuted but acquitted.

By getting it so wrong, the CPS caused more harm than good.

There has been no conviction for FGM in the UK.

That was him yes. Nothing about acquittal in the piece I read but ok. Bizarre though. Some police forces are against prosecution, opting to educate parents instead saying imprisonment would not benefit the child.