Woolworths set for High St come back?

I would be really surprised if this happens. I just cant think where they would fit in the market.

We Brits seem to do this a lot.

We stop shopping somewhere, we complain that its old fashioned or not tendy or not selling what we want. We flock to the discount superstores and supermarkets or internet shopping outlets quite happily.

THEN, suddenly when a high street giant closes down we suddenly get filled with some faux sense of loss, banging on through rose tinted nostalgia about how much we will miss it and its such a tradegy.

What did we think was going to happen when we CHOOSE to stop shopping there?

IMO the last few years of Woolworths decline was just inevitable. What was it selling. What did it really serve on the high street that could not be offered much much cheaper and much much more conveniently by your average supermarket or even convenience store.

The only possible way I could see it making any realistic sort of come back would be to go right back to its original roots. A large multi-department store in prime locations offering a wide range of goods at a discount store price bracket.

Piddling little stores selling a few CDs, a bit of household tat and sweeties just wont cut it.

Guest makapaka
I would be really surprised if this happens. I just cant think where they would fit in the market.

We Brits seem to do this a lot.

We stop shopping somewhere, we complain that its old fashioned or not tendy or not selling what we want. We flock to the discount superstores and supermarkets or internet shopping outlets quite happily.

THEN, suddenly when a high street giant closes down we suddenly get filled with some faux sense of loss, banging on through rose tinted nostalgia about how much we will miss it and its such a tradegy.

What did we think was going to happen when we CHOOSE to stop shopping there?

IMO the last few years of Woolworths decline was just inevitable. What was it selling. What did it really serve on the high street that could not be offered much much cheaper and much much more conveniently by your average supermarket or even convenience store.

The only possible way I could see it making any realistic sort of come back would be to go right back to its original roots. A large multi-department store in prime locations offering a wide range of goods at a discount store price bracket.

Piddling little stores selling a few CDs, a bit of household tat and sweeties just wont cut it.

Agree. There was no reason to go there. Bhs was same. A cd for sale at £12 you could buy for £8 round corner etc

The reason Woolworths failed hasn't gone away. If they reopen, just as before, then they'll fail, just as before.

What little gap in the market that they may have left (if there was any at all) has been filled by other nationwide stores. If new Woolworths appear, I would probably try them if they were convenient, but I wouldn't go out of my way.

There are plenty of other stores, nationwide, covering the sort of products that Woolies used to sell.

Also, my local Wilko and B&M both sell pick'n mix sweets.

Woolworths will be wasting their time trying a comeback.

In the years before they closed the shops became shabby, dirty and rundown.

Staff morale seemed at rock bottom.

They were not really a loss by the time they closed.

In contrast, the stores that have moved in the void, Wilko, Boyes, and B&M, seem very clean and well stocked, they have far more choice than Woolies ever did.

And the staff seem as happy as they can be, being paid a pittance for long, uncertain hours.

Also, my local Wilko and B&M both sell pick'n mix sweets.

The one in wilkos isn't too bad. Not keen on the one in B&M. There's no roses or quality street to pick all the nice ones out of, lol. I really do like B&M for lot's of it's other good bargains tho:)