Should we boycott Nestle's Blue Riband?

Yes, the bit I read attributed it to spiralling costs which I suppose relates to your link. In his defence he didn't shift the entire operation, and with his business doing extremely well in the far east it made sense to move production there.

Did he leave the hot air part of it here?

I lost my job twice when factories I worked at shut in this city under Mr Blair's government, only once under Thatcher and I volunteered that redundancy when the business was relocated :suspect:

DON'T VOTE LABOUR :D

The Tories want to pitch you into competition with the entire global workforce.

Best of luck.

You lost your job twice under Thatcher's greatest legacy Blair.

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/centreright/2008/04/making-history.html

I bet those pesky Trades Unions got you a nice wedge when you volunteered?

Statutory redundancy pay if you must know, and I was an AEU union member at that time at a company which had a strong union membership on site .... how's that for ya :D

The labour party particularly since Blair onwards but even prior to that, did nowt for traditional industry or industrial union members, I dropped my union membership after 30 years when they became more interested in all things 'minority' rather than workers generally .... that would be Blair's legacy.

---------- Post added 26-04-2017 at 23:36 ----------

Best of luck.

Where do you think we have been pitched in for the last 40 ?

Edited by Michael_W

The Nestle boycott hasn't gone away. They have a website here.

It is difficult to make a boycott like that stick though. Who is going to give up eating something as delicious as Blue Ribands just to save a few hundred thousand babies?

So hang it - it's a website run by a whiney bunch of people with an axe to grind, that references "international marketing standards" which is in fact nothing of the sort, and is a different group of whiney people with there own axe to grind....

Theres a lot of Nestle bad because you know babies but it seems short on reasons why....

Best of luck.

Is there a party that does not believe in free trade?

---------- Post added 26-04-2017 at 23:54 ----------

I dropped my union membership after 30 years when they became more interested in all things 'minority' rather than workers generally ....

Ideally, unions are us, not they.

The unions should be run by the workers, but very few will be a rep.

Is there a party that does not believe in free trade?

---------- Post added 26-04-2017 at 23:54 ----------

Ideally, unions are us, not they.

The unions should be run by the workers, but very few will be a rep.

That is true, very few will be a union rep, or shop steward as they are also known.

Which is strange, in my view.

Being a good union rep is usually a fast track to management, as the bosses want you on their side.

Best of luck.

Where do you think we have been pitched in for the last 40 ?
against the global 1st world workforce, and protected from cut-price competition (achieved through cheaper/nastier/<etc.> working conditions in developing/2nd/3rd) by the EU.

The difference currently, relative to NMW levels, is probably about £6 an hour less.

The Tories want a global Britain fully open to the world for business, with no protectionism à la Trump whatsoever, don't they?

That effectively puts the average assembly worker in Britain in straight competition with their Chinese counterpart at e.g. Foxconn, rather than their Polish or Slovakian counterpart (still protected by the EU after Brexit). Lovely pay, working conditions and contract terms they enjoy at Foxconn :twisted:

I'll let you work out the after-effects on standards of living, the likelihood of sustaining the NHS, pensions <etc.> without heavy privatisation, for yourself.

As said, best of luck.

Edited by L00b

against the global 1st world workforce, and protected from cut-price competition (achieved through cheaper/nastier/<etc.> working conditions in developing/2nd/3rd) by the EU.

The difference currently, relative to NMW levels, is probably about £6 an hour less.

The Tories want a global Britain fully open to the world for business, with no protectionism à la Trump whatsoever, don't they?

That effectively puts the average assembly worker in Britain in straight competition with their Chinese counterpart at e.g. Foxconn, rather than their Polish or Slovakian counterpart (still protected by the EU after Brexit). Lovely pay, working conditions and contract terms they enjoy at Foxconn :twisted:

I'll let you work out the after-effects on standards of living, the likelihood of sustaining the NHS, pensions <etc.> without heavy privatisation, for yourself.

As said, best of luck.

I worked at a manufacturing company in Sheffield that closed and moved production to China years ago, like I said, we have been global for a long time, being in the EU protects nothing that is open to global cost effectiveness.

I worked at a manufacturing company in Sheffield that closed and moved production to China years ago, like I said, we have been global for a long time, being in the EU protects nothing that is open to global cost effectiveness.
No need to tell me, I have many of them (ex-manufacturing companies in Sheffield, and elsewhere) as clients, and know perfectly well how long they have been getting their wares manufactured in South Africa, China, Turkey <etc.>

But on the "EU protects nothing", if that's what you believe, then by all means don't let anyone disabuse you. I'm not going to engage in debate if you resort to the locally anecdotal when we're discussing global general principles.

Vote Tory or Labour or whatever and keep at the Brexit thing, and best of luck (-still) :)

Edited by L00b