Be prepared for a shock - No triple lock = No vote.

You still havent explained what a capitalist is in your eyes.
I think there is a lot of confusion borne from idealism there. Regrettably.

In our current economic model, engineers don't get to create much of anything, unless incentivised or otherwise propped up by capitalists (employers, venture capitalists, <...>).

For contrast, in a (tried and tested) non-capitalist system, the USSR, engineers in all walks of technology were forever playing catch-up by pinching 'capitalist' tech by the spying and copying armload.

I'm certainly looking forward to read about Jacktari's third way (assuming he has one to suggest).

Or what sort of engineering you did come to that.
From recollection (of poster's posts), marine engineering, unless I am mistaken.

Where do you think your income tax and NI payments in the 50s, 60s, 70s <...> went, if not on the government expenditure of the day?

Stop paying national insurance and see what happens when you get to pension age if you don`t think N I goes to your pension.

Stop paying national insurance and see what happens when you get to pension age if you don`t think N I goes to your pension.

It only goes there indirectly. There isn't a bank account in your name that this money goes into. When you pay NI it will be used by the government to cover its current needs and isn't 'saved' for you personally. I understand your point however.

It only goes there indirectly. There isn't a bank account in your name that this money goes into. When you pay NI it will be used by the government to cover its current needs and isn't 'saved' for you personally. I understand your point however.

That is a bad fault actually.

In my opinion they should be earnings related.

Sick pay and Unemployment Benefit used to be.

When did this stop?

I think it was some time in the 1970's.

Way to miss the point, there, chief.

The NI you pay now, gets you points towards your state pension later in life. The cash however, gets spent by No.11 there and then.

I didn't think that needed explaining so plainly, but there you go.

Way to miss the point, there, chief.

The NI you pay now, gets you points towards your state pension later in life. The cash however, gets spent by No.11 there and then.

I didn't think that needed explaining so plainly, but there you go.

It does, and if you have other pensions or a fair amount of savings, ensuring a decent pension from the state is a good idea. However, some people who have not paid NI for a full state pension can receive a lot more. Pension credit, housing and council tax benefits plus other entitlements can add up to as much as having a small extra pension. Hardly seems worth the sacrifice. The new flat rate pension should go some way to evening things out.

the british public are idiots they have all the facts but will still stupidly vote for tory.

This time it is absolutely nailed on that the people that carry the Tories over the winning line will be voting against their own self interest. I'm excluding here the 30-35% of the electorate that is the natural Tory constituency