Why can't we have the windows?

I noticed a lot of house's the council are knocking down (mainly in S5) have been part/fully modernised ie.new roof tiles,doors and double glazing.

I live in a un-touched council house that has old windows that are ready to fall out but the council wont replace them saying they cant afford it.

So i asked the council if i could have some of the double glazed units that are in some of the empty homes ready for demolition.They wrote back to me fobbing me off saying that windows are 'tailor made for each propety' thus wouldnt fit mine and the fittings of the houses go to the demolotion contractors anyway as part the agreement between them and the council

No wonder Sheffield council has never got any money!!

Try speaking to someone on the site - you may be able to give them a bit of spending money to get the windows.

Trouble is, you'll not be able to fit them because you don't own the house :(

There not tailor made for each property the cost would be too high.......if the house is identical to yours.......then chances are they would fit......if its a different style then they might not.......chances are tho they cant be asked to do it for you.......

Originally posted by robcmar

They are tailor made, each houses is visited and windows measured etc.

On a single estate all the properties of the same type are described....the same.

If i was to nick the windows from any house on my road the windows would fit.

Coucil houses are not built by Mclean so they dont have the Balmoral or the cavedish 5 bed detatched with double garage.

They have the same as rest of brick bulit box,with numerous viewing openings (windows)

This is why the coucil employees are like magpies (im told) just aks any council worker,bung him the cost of half ounce of golden virginia and im sure he will oblige

Its about time Sheffield 5 got something its always Burngreave or Pitsmore that gets repairs. I get new windows and a new roof and new doors in a few weeks time, i have been in this house 30 years and its the first thing we have got of the council. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Jon

i have been in this house 30 years and its the first thing we have got of the council.

Apart from schools, roads, park, libraries, old people's homes, etc., etc., oh, and your house. Not bad eh?

:D Is that a mod being sarky what is the world coming too..But i don't live in a school or a park i expect the council to repair them. I'm just saying its about time Shiregreen houses were modernised other areas get them all the time.

Archived