Why can't we have the windows?

Originally posted by Jon

:D Is that a mod being sarky what is the world coming too..But i don't live in a school or a park i expect the council to repair them. I'm just saying its about time Shiregreen houses were modernised other areas get them all the time.

No it was me being sarky. I was paraphrasing a quote from Life of Brian, you know, what have the Romans ever done for us?

I noticed a lot of house's the council are knocking down (mainly in S5) have been part/fully modernised ie.new roof tiles,doors and double glazing.

You have my deepest sympathy as i know how you feel, ive been in my house for 4 years and cant even get any repairs done !!

It's so anoying when i go on my driving lesson around parson cross with there new drives, new walls, new windows, and a woman i work with has just had a fitted kitchen and bathroom put in (on parson x) and theyve told you they cant afford it CHEAK!

Well I live on parson x and all the houses around me have had new drives, new windows, new walls built and the privet taken out, new fitted bathrooms with showers, new fitted kitchens and new front and back doors.

I haven't had any of this done but all the estate around me has. I live in a block of prefab houses and we are stuck in the middle of all the houses with new this and new that.......my property is falling apart and I've been here seven years now and can't even get a leaky porch fixed...and my windows are falling out too.

RUBBISH I TELL YA!!!!

I live on the Shiregreen Estates. We are supposed to be getting new bathrooms, moving the toilet from downstairs, taking 3 foot off the bedroom next to the bathroom to fit the toilet in there.

The bathroom is small and crowed as it is. How are they supposed to fit the toilet in there i have no idea. The thing is that the bedroom they are taking 3 foot off is small as it aswell.

The worst bit is that we dont have a choice in the matter.

Has anyone else in the Shiregreen area heard of this or is it just a rumor??

• 2 weeks later...

My father has lived in the same house in Gleadless Valley for 42 years. The house was brand new build when he moved in.

He,s 82 now and definately needs the improved heating allowance.He has to pay full rent as he has a deafness pension, and has never been late with a rent payment in all his years as a tenant. His windows are original, metal frames that have never fitted properly since they were installed. The council have been promising new windows in the houses adjacent to Leighton Road for years and every house not overlooking the road seems to have had them for a few years.

His bathroom suite is original cast iron and the enamel etc has become very yellowed and chipped over the years. When we asked if it could be replaced we were told NO because it wasn't broken. How on earth do you break a cast iron bath!

Archived