Eggstrodinary discovery

Three weeks ago I emptied a couple of large pots by the front door of early tulips and left them until I could get some plants for the summer.

Yesterday morning I was turning the compost over in one pot ready to plant a hardy fuchsia when I uncovered what I thought was a white marble egg.

Closer inspection revealed it was a chicken's ??? egg 6x4 cm in size and yolk was running out where the fork had pierced the shell.

I planted the fuchsia.

This morning something had dug into the pot uprooting my plant and left a pile of compost on the path.

My wife had woken in the early hours and heard a scuffling noise by the front door but didn't get up to see what it was.

Google suggested that foxes bury eggs in pots using them as a larder.

I reckon that Renard had returned for his meal last night but was disappointed!

Has anyone hid a similar experience?

Three weeks ago I emptied a couple of large pots by the front door of early tulips and left them until I could get some plants for the summer.

Yesterday morning I was turning the compost over in one pot ready to plant a hardy fuchsia when I uncovered what I thought was a white marble egg.

Closer inspection revealed it was a chicken's ??? egg 6x4 cm in size and yolk was running out where the fork had pierced the shell.

I planted the fuchsia.

This morning something had dug into the pot uprooting my plant and left a pile of compost on the path.

My wife had woken in the early hours and heard a scuffling noise by the front door but didn't get up to see what it was.

When they're not busy being marsupials, Hillsborough Tree Penguins lay eggs and hide them … plant pots, sardine cans, space-hoppers, you name it.

Something to do with a CSA scam, so I hear. They also make scuffling noises (as well as sniggering), exactly as your wife reported.

I planted the fuchsia.

Interesting.

I have many garden pots out the back and last year when re-potting I also came across a chicken egg in one pot that had been deliberately placed in it and covered up. But, there is a mentally challenged person living nearby who has access to the area and I had assumed that someone had conned her into believing that it would grow into an egg plant! And yes, I am being serious.

It's definitly foxes - they have been doing it for many years to my gardens. Where the eggs come from I have no idea - I presume they are bin raiding for kitchen waste.

Unless they have learnt how to boil an egg, in this case I doubt it.

Guest makapaka

One of our plant pots has been dug out over night. It's not knocked over - just completely dug out with soil everywhere - is this likely to be foxes?

When they're not busy being marsupials, Hillsborough Tree Penguins lay eggs and hide them … plant pots, sardine cans, space-hoppers, you name it.

Something to do with a CSA scam, so I hear. They also make scuffling noises (as well as sniggering), exactly as your wife reported.

It can't be Hillsborough tree penguins, unless they've spread south to Kent.

It could have been buried on Wednesday though.

Edited by davyboy