Why isn't the debt calculator on our screens?

At the 2010 election Sky News had the National Debt clock running across our screens to show us all why Labour couldn't be trusted with the economy.

So why when this has increased so largely since then aren't they showing it this time round.

For those of you missing it here's link to remind you of what "Sound and Stable" leadership brings:

http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/unitedkingdom

At the 2010 election Sky News had the National Debt clock running across our screens to show us all why Labour couldn't be trusted with the economy.

So why when this has increased so largely since then aren't they showing it this time round.

For those of you missing it here's link to remind you of what "Sound and Stable" leadership brings:

http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/unitedkingdom

Are you suggesting that the size of the current UK debt is down to Conservative (or Coalition) policies enacted since they took office in 2010?

If so, you can please highlight which policies are the ones that caused our national debt to increase during this time?

---------- Post added 29-04-2017 at 11:54 ----------

I don't watch Sky News, but I'm shocked that such blatant partisanship was / is even allowed.

It's possibly one of those things that people have become so used to, that only the grossest bias is noticed

I also don't watch Sky News, but I'm not sure what Titanic99 is suggesting actually happened - I can't find any evidence of such a thing. I agree that were that to happen it would be very biased, by I can find no evidence that it did so I will reserve judgement until evidence is presented.

During the 2010 election a group called the Taxpayers' Alliance traveled around the country with a 'debt clock' that showed the increasing National Debt. It is perfectly reasonable for Sky News to report on this, and therefore show the clock in some of their footage, but that is quite different from having a running banner as Titanic99 described.

If so, you can please highlight which policies are the ones that caused our national debt to increase during this time?

In January 2012 the Secretary of State for Transport announced that HS2 would go ahead; that amounts to £30 billion.

In January 2012 the Secretary of State for Transport announced that HS2 would go ahead; that amounts to £30 billion.

National debt is caused by the deficit. Deficit is the difference between what the government spends and what it takes in. Has HS2 caused the deficit to be higher than it might otherwise of been?

More importantly, the vast vast majority of that money hasn't been spent yet as construction on HS2 hasn't started. Even if the deficit was increased in order to spend more on infrastructure (HS2) the figures involved would be very very small in comparison.

Yes, HS2 is expensive, indeed the final cost is likely to be over double that estimate, but I don't think you're suggesting that we shouldn't have any infrastructure spending in this country are you?

Thames garden bridge is very much looks like a waste of money, the London Mayor has withdrawn funding, and it may now be scrapped.

Osborne committed £60m of public funding to the scheme when he was in office. The Department for Transport has already given £30m and Transport for London contributed £30m, £20m of which structured as a loan.

---------- Post added 29-04-2017 at 13:07 ----------

Yes, HS2 is expensive, indeed the final cost is likely to be over double that estimate, but I don't think you're suggesting that we shouldn't have any infrastructure spending in this country are you?

HS2 is a white elephant.

---------- Post added 29-04-2017 at 13:09 ----------

Opposition to High Speed Two still outweighs support – and many doubt it will improve the North. Only 30% of people support HS2.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/05/01/public-still-oppose-hs2/

Thames garden bridge is very much looks like a waste of money, the London Mayor has withdrawn funding, and it may now be scrapped.

Osborne committed £60m of public funding to the scheme when he was in office. The Department for Transport has already given £30m and Transport for London contributed £30m, £20m of which structured as a loan.

---------- Post added 29-04-2017 at 13:07 ----------

HS2 is a white elephant.

---------- Post added 29-04-2017 at 13:09 ----------

Opposition to High Speed Two still outweighs support – and many doubt it will improve the North. Only 30% of people support HS2.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/05/01/public-still-oppose-hs2/

This isn't a debate about HS2. I'm asking what policies bought in since 2010 have caused the increase in the National Debt. HS2 is not one of them, for the reasons I stated.

This isn't a debate about HS2. I'm asking what policies bought in since 2010 have caused the increase in the National Debt. HS2 is not one of them, for the reasons I stated.

That would be any Government spending?

That would be any Government spending?

I'm not sure what point you're making.

Debt grows because of the deficit (and interest on the debt). Very simply if the government spent £750billion a year but received £750billion a year then the government would not have to borrow any money, there would be no deficit, and the debt would not grow (apart from through interest).

You can't just blame the government for the debt because they spend money. It depends if they are spending beyond their means. The UK is still doing so, and is still having to borrow money (although significantly less than we were) but I don't think anybody is realistically suggesting that it is the government's fault that the deficit wasn't immediately abolished. That would be completely unrealistic.

So again, I'm not sure how the increase in the National Debt is a uniquely Conservative problem. It would have grown regardless of who was in power, and indeed it would have grown more significantly if the deficit was higher over those years.