Why isn't the debt calculator on our screens?

Are you suggesting that the size of the current UK debt is down to Conservative (or Coalition) policies enacted since they took office in 2010?

If so, you can please highlight which policies are the ones that caused our national debt to increase during this time.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The size of the current UK debt is no more down to the Conservatives than the original debt was down to Labour, in spite of the Tory's brainwashing of the population with the mantra that 'this was the mess that Labour got us into.'

The debt has been growing for years and will continue to grow. We are incapable of paying it off, the interest alone exceeds our income, and it is mainly this interest which is making the debt grow.

The economy runs entirely on 'funny money' and is always in the bank's favour. The Bank creates money it doesn't have, lends it to Governments, and then gets it back as real money, with added interest. Nice work if you can get it...

Edited by Anna B

So again, I'm not sure how the increase in the National Debt is a uniquely Conservative problem. It would have grown regardless of who was in power, and indeed it would have grown more significantly if the deficit was higher over those years.

Both Labour and Tory promised to reduce the deficit, so it would be the same?

---------- Post added 29-04-2017 at 14:31 ----------

The debt has been growing for years and will continue to grow. We are incapable of paying it off, the interest alone exceeds our income, and it is mainly this interest which is making the debt grow.

The economy runs entirely on 'funny money' and is always in the bank's favour. It creates money it doesn't have, and then gets it back as real money, with added interest. Nice work if you can get it...

I believe its about 5% of GDP.

The size of the current UK debt is no more down to the Conservatives than the original debt was down to Labour, in spite of the Tory's brainwashing of the population with the mantra that 'this was the mess that Labour got us into.'

The economy runs entirely on 'funny money' and is always in the bank's favour. The Bank creates money it doesn't have, lends it to Governments, and then gets it back as real money, with added interest. Nice work if you can get it...

What? By 2015 the interest on the national debt amounted to £43billion.

Government income is in excess of £700billion a year. How does the 'interest alone exceed our income'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_debt

I did read it somewhere, but I must be wrong. In which case the Conservatives must be more responsible than I thought if the debt has more than doubled under them, and maybe Labour should make more of it in their election bid.

No. For the reasons I've stated. Why don't people understand this!

No. For the reasons I've stated. Why don't people understand this!

You dont blame Labour, for getting us in this mess in the first place, as they said in the run up to the 2010 election?

They would all have done the same, cannot let the banks go bust, its not like there is too many of them.

You dont blame Labour, for getting us in this mess in the first place, as they said in the run up to the 2010 election?

They would all have done the same, cannot let the banks go bust, its not like there is too many of them.

I'm asking why the current debt is the Conservative's fault, which was the premise posited in the OP, not arguing that the debt pre 2010 was or wasn't Labour's fault.

Nobody has managed to explain the Conservatives can be blamed for the current debt, despite that claim being repeated.

I'm asking why the current debt is the Conservative's fault, which was the premise posited in the OP, not arguing that the debt pre 2010 was or wasn't Labour's fault.

They would all have done the same, the debt calculator would show the same figure if Labour had got elected in 2010.

Our excessive debt is because the banks went bust, they havnt recovered yet, the Tories want to sell RBS now.

Where is that premise mentioned?

The original post.

"why when this has increased so largely since then aren't they showing it this time round.

For those of you missing it here's link to remind you of what "Sound and Stable" leadership brings:

http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/de.../unitedkingdom"

Why bring it up if they realised that the size of the current debt is not down to conservative policy? They are suggesting that the 'strong and stable leadership' which is a 'Mayism" is linked to the size of the debt.

It's also been mentioned in comments by other posters - "the Conservatives must be more responsible than I thought if the debt has more than doubled under them, and maybe Labour should make more of it in their election bid."

---------- Post added 29-04-2017 at 15:44 ----------

They would all have done the same, the debt calculator would show the same figure if Labour had got elected in 2010.

Our excessive debt is because the banks went bust, they havnt recovered yet, the Tories want to sell RBS now.

Which is my original point. I'm glad we agree.