Why isn't the debt calculator on our screens?

The original post.

"why when this has increased so largely since then aren't they showing it this time round.

For those of you missing it here's link to remind you of what "Sound and Stable" leadership brings:

http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/de.../unitedkingdom"

Why bring it up if they realised that the size of the current debt is not down to conservative policy? They are suggesting that the 'strong and stable leadership' which is a 'Mayism" is linked to the size of the debt.

It's also been mentioned in comments by other posters - "the Conservatives must be more responsible than I thought if the debt has more than doubled under them, and maybe Labour should make more of it in their election bid."

---------- Post added 29-04-2017 at 15:44 ----------

Which is my original point. I'm glad we agree.

What a pity the Conservative party decided to resort to such underhand methods and repeat it, ad infinitum, to besmirch the Labour party during the last election. We are lucky that Labour has a leader of honour who fights fair and doesn't stoop to such dishonesty.

Are you suggesting that the size of the current UK debt is down to Conservative (or Coalition) policies enacted since they took office in 2010?

If so, you can please highlight which policies are the ones that caused our national debt to increase during this time?

---------- Post added 29-04-2017 at 11:54 ----------

I also don't watch Sky News, but I'm not sure what Titanic99 is suggesting actually happened - I can't find any evidence of such a thing. I agree that were that to happen it would be very biased, by I can find no evidence that it did so I will reserve judgement until evidence is presented.

During the 2010 election a group called the Taxpayers' Alliance traveled around the country with a 'debt clock' that showed the increasing National Debt. It is perfectly reasonable for Sky News to report on this, and therefore show the clock in some of their footage, but that is quite different from having a running banner as Titanic99 described.

The last time I checked the Government had the power to:

Set spending levels

Set taxation levels

Decide whether or not to see off assetts to pay off the debt

I'm not sure who else can be blamed if it is accepted the figure is correct.

The last time I checked the Government had the power to:

Set spending levels

Set taxation levels

Decide whether or not to see off assetts to pay off the debt

I'm not sure who else can be blamed if it is accepted the figure is correct.

You understand the deficit yes? And you understand interest. Assuming you understand both, I don't think it needs explaining why the debt has grown significantly over the past few years, and why that it not because of government policy.

You understand the deficit yes? And you understand interest. Assuming you understand both, I don't think it needs explaining why the debt has grown significantly over the past few years, and why that it not because of government policy.

Sorry you'll need to explain it.Are you seriously suggesting government policies have no effect on the deficit and subsequent national debt levels.

Guest sibon
Sorry you'll need to explain it.Are you seriously suggesting government policies have no effect on the deficit and subsequent national debt levels.

No. He's asking you to list the policies that the last two Tory led administrations have had, which might have led to the increase in national debt.

It is an old and obvious trick, and not a very convincing one.

Given that we've had a Tory led Government for the best part of a decade now, I think that we are entitled to expect them to have done something about the UK's parlous finances.

Instead of asking about specific policies that might have led to the increase in the national debt, it would be much more honest to ask about the glaring absence of policies to reduce that debt.

The Tories have happily cut public services to the bone, whilst ignoring the elephant in the room, which is looking at ways to increase Government income. No surprise really, as this would involve increasing taxes on the more wealthy and looking for a way to tax multinationals properly. They seem to have no appetite for carrying out either of these vital tasks.

So why when this has increased so largely since then aren't they showing it this time round.

Your beloved debt calculator has disappeared because this General Election is all about Brexit.

As many political observers have pointed out this is turning into a second EU referendum in all but name.

It's why large swathes of the Yorkshire region are expected to turn blue.

Your beloved debt calculator has disappeared because this General Election is all about Brexit.

EU law requires second referendum, shouldnt we have a referendum, not an election.

I am ure I have seen the parties saying that they will be doing manifestos, will they just say hard or soft Brexit; in or out?

I am sorry, but this subject keeps coming back ;)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-brexit-court-challenge-second-referendum-dr-andrew-watt-a7709136.html

Not at all. I'm saying that in order for government policy to be the cause of the increase in debt then there must have been polices enacted that increased the deficit.

In 2009/10 the budget deficit was 9.9% of GDP.

In 2016/17 it was 2.6% of GDP.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/spring-budget-2017-documents/spring-budget-2017

The deficit has been cut significantly. I was therefore asking for the policies that you believe have led to an increase in the debt considering that the deficit has been cut.

EU law requires second referendum, shouldnt we have a referendum, not an election.

Leaving the EU isn't technically guaranteed anyway. Article 50 can be reversed at any point up unil 29 March 2019.

As many have said you can't keep holding referendums in the hope the next one yields the result you want. The EU referendum was a once in lifetime opportunity to fundamentally change our relationship with the European Union.

The democratic will of the people voted to leave, and the government of the day have the responsibility to deliver on that. That's how democracy works.

All the political parties have said they accept the outcome of the referendum.

Suggesting anything to the contrary would fundamentally put our democracy on very shaky ground.

No. He's asking you to list the policies that the last two Tory led administrations have had, which might have led to the increase in national debt.

It is an old and obvious trick, and not a very convincing one.

Given that we've had a Tory led Government for the best part of a decade now, I think that we are entitled to expect them to have done something about the UK's parlous finances.

Instead of asking about specific policies that might have led to the increase in the national debt, it would be much more honest to ask about the glaring absence of policies to reduce that debt.

The Tories have happily cut public services to the bone, whilst ignoring the elephant in the room, which is looking at ways to increase Government income. No surprise really, as this would involve increasing taxes on the more wealthy and looking for a way to tax multinationals properly. They seem to have no appetite for carrying out either of these vital tasks.

It is not a trick. I'm interested in what policies they believe led to the increase in the National Debt. We can widen the question to include the lack of policies to reduce the deficit further and quicker through increased income, although I'm not sure that really provides an answer either.

You brought up two points. Firstly, increasing taxes for the wealthy, and secondly looking for a way to tax multi-nationals.

Labour put up taxes on the wealthy creating the additional rate of tax at 50%, which the Conservatives reduced to 45%.

Reducing the rate to 45% raised more money for the economy - the Laffer curve in action. Indeed, tax receipts from the wealthy were an estimated £20billion lower in 09/10 than they would have been had there not been a 50% rate of tax. Some of this would be down to a one of shifting of tax from one year to another to avoid to tax, but not all of it.

To address your second point. The Conservatives bought in the 'Diverted Profits Tax'. This is a 25% tax on profits that have been generated by multinationals here, and then artificially shifted out of the country. This is higher than the 20 per cent corporation tax that companies who play by the rules pay. It is not true that they have not done anything about this.