RIP Ueli Steck.

The first casualty of the 2017 Everest season is one of the best speed climbers and runners of our generation who died at Nuptse near Everest.

I know he is not a household name but Sheffield has a big climbing community so am guessing many have.

He was an incredibly fit individual and some of his many achievements were running up the North face of the Eiger and running up many Himalayan peaks in a day that most climbers take days to climb up.

He died doing what he loved most climbing in the mountains preparing for an ambitious Everest to Lhotse traverse.

Have followed his adventures for years and he was an inspiration to me and many others and his memory will live on.

RIP.

Supreme rock climber and mountaineer. One of his outstanding climbs was the North Face of the Eiger in 2hrs .47 minutes. Occasionally the Cosmos gives rise to these unique and gifted individuals. The North face of the Eiger is still a major

challenge amongst the world's difficult north faces.

Such ashame that he has departed .

RIP Ueli.

Here he is at his best:

Edited by petemcewan

Supreme rock climber and mountaineer. One of his outstanding climbs was the North Face of the Eiger in 2hrs .47 minutes. Occasionally the Cosmos gives rise to these unique and gifted individuals. The North face of the Eiger is still a major

RIP Ueli.

Here he is at his best:

Yes thats one of my favourites.

I loved the way he travels in the mountains in the Alps and the Himalayas ,by not being weighed down with big back packs and equipment and traveling light and fast he was able to really experience the beauty of the mountains and test his fitness to the limit,he almost seemed to fly up them.

An amazing example of what the human body can achieve with the right amount of training.

RIP Ueli.

Here he is at his best:

Just watched the video clip. One amazing climber, what a fit guy he was.

Angel1.