Half billion redevelopment project announced.

Ive never felt the need to drive into town, however I agree with Julado re removing the Freebie bus. It was a bad move for those of us accessing the Moor from the tram. I walk down, but I'm not encouraged to buy much to carry back to the tram stop. Other cities like Manchester and Leeds have a free city bus, bringing people to the shops, why can't we?

Goodness me folks get with the programme

Unemployment is falling, in fact its as low now as it was in the 1970s

The opportunities are increasing in number and more people are in work than at any point since records began

The retail development is a major boost to the city

Sheffield city centre has a more vibrant and diverse feel to it than at any point in the past

Sheffield is the city people want to see and visit, and spend their money

But Sheffield City Centre is a craphole....and just how do you get to the bottom of the Moor and back (so you can take "advantage" of the "wonderful" new market, Primark, T J Hughes and all the other "delightful" things it has to offer) from the Tram stops - I gave up trying to work it out when the Freebie ceased to be.

Its very simple. You get off at West Street and walk stright down either Eldon Street or Trafalgar Street for a few minutes.

If someone's mobility is genuinely THAT severe that they cannot manage such a short walk then they can use their freely provided disabled or elderly bus pass and get one of the dozens and dozens of bus services that stop right outside the bloody door of the market and moorfoot shops.

Its just rediculous the way people keep banging on about the Moorfoot as if its some undiscovered land a million miles away from castlegate.

Since then if I want a DECENT market or a DECENT shopping mall I'll go over to Doncaster.

If you want to do a 60 mile round trip to get exactly the same shops as Sheffield then that's your choice.

Forgive me for not following your lead. You take issue with the distance between Castlegate and the Moorfoot but are happy to travel over to Doncaster?? Yeah, that makes sense.

Oh and by the way, based on a well known internet map system, the walk from Doncaster Interchange to the Doncaster Market is actually a couple of minutes longer than it would take to get from Moorfoot up to the nearest tram stop.

Sheffield City Centre is dead on it's feet.

No clearly it isn't. That's why someone is prepared to undetake a multi-million pound property development here. That's why several big companies are about to move into shiny new buildings here.

Moaning for moaning sake on a project that's not even so much as finalised yet. Its pathetic.

Edited by ECCOnoob

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-s-new-480-million-retail-quarter-will-be-the-envy-of-europe-1-8519616

Should read "Half billion white elephant project that will be the laughing stock of Europe"

Why will people just not accept city centre retail is dead?

Insufficient parking (that doesn't cost a week's wages)

Insufficient reliable public transport.

Trying to get large retail into the city centre is moronic. They will come, last about a year because there isn't enough trade and leave.

That and it's SCC so we'll end up "remortgaging" it halfway through and spend the next 50 years paying back four times as much ala Don Valley...

Sevenstone springs to mind . ill believe it when I see it

Sevenstone springs to mind . ill believe it when I see it

Whilst I respect that SCC spokespersons always deserve a lot of cynicism fact is its already happening.

After Tombstone failed they said quite clearly that they would abandon the single grandiose project and focus on moving on with smaller more likely schemes to keep things progressing.

They are delivering on that. The Light complex has now been finished and opened. Charter Square redevelopments are nearly completed, The Moor is starting to improve with a handful of new units and features opened up and HSBC are signed and sealed on their new tower offices.

The remainder of the retail will be the next phase in that.

I certainly feel like the Star Article and the choice of words used by the interviewee are deluded in nature but I would not doubt that some form of development will happen.

Edited by ECCOnoob