Half billion redevelopment project announced.

Ive never felt the need to drive into town, however I agree with Julado re removing the Freebie bus. It was a bad move for those of us accessing the Moor from the tram. I walk down, but I'm not encouraged to buy much to carry back to the tram stop. Other cities like Manchester and Leeds have a free city bus, bringing people to the shops, why can't we?

Actually the Leeds one is now £1 per journey.

The Manchester one is funded by both the City Council and GMPTE. Perhaps if our council could have chopped away some more of the ever dwindling budget to chip in for the costs it might have stayed. - wonder if people would have been very happy with that eh?

Its also quite interesting that at the time of withdrawal of the Freebee the Rotherham one continued on by getting payments from the owners of Parkgate Shopping Centre. So Rotherham's free bus was actually pulling people away from the Town Centre and giving them a nice free shuttle to Parkgate instead.

In other words they are not so free after all unless a council is prepared to sacrifice funding from one of their other services to keep it going or a private corporation (with their own motives) wants to keep it going.

Mixed use most probably.

Quite frankly who gives a toss as long as the area gets its investment and gets developed.

There is more to the global project than just about trying to create a city centre version of Meadowhall.

Mixed use areas with retail on the lower levels / workspaces or residential on the upper levels is is what other city developments have had for decades.

Look at what is on top of and combined within the Liverpool One, Manchester Arndale, Nottingham Victoria, Birmingham Bullring developments.

Its not just about shopping all the time.

Woohoo, can't wait for HSBC to move to the new retail quarter.....

Why would i miss the old building, with it's masses of parking and ease of access so i can go work down the Moor with nowhere to park and crap roads surrounding it.

Still, probably be a Greggs underneath it

Inspired