Half billion redevelopment project announced.

The problem is that abandoning one part of the City centre so as to move to the more flavour of the month area usually leads to the former being run down and unloved . The rush to the Moor so as to appease investors is a prime example of this policy with the new Market being living proof.

Sheffield High Street is also a victim due to TG Hughes and Primarks move to the South of the centre.

Which area will be next one wonders.

By the way the above abandoned sites have one thing in common being that they were easy to access from the tram ,good idea that int it.

The Moor is quite busy and much healthier these days.

Guest makapaka
The problem is that abandoning one part of the City centre so as to move to the more flavour of the month area usually leads to the former being run down and unloved . The rush to the Moor so as to appease investors is a prime example of this policy with the new Market being living proof.

Sheffield High Street is also a victim due to TG Hughes and Primarks move to the South of the centre.

By the way the above abandoned sites have one thing in common being that they were easy to access from the tram ,good idea that int it.

This is true - you need the demand otherwise it's just moving the same offerings to different places.

I would say the council needs to box a bit clever and perhaps offer rate reductions in the type of of area you mention to attract new tenants. Easier said than done I suppose.

There was a comment further back about evenings- when I lived in Newcastle, they launched their evening city centre strategy to try and win some business back from the out of town Metrocentre (sounding familiar here... ?)

the thing that made it successful was they planned it, and most importantly, communicated it and communicated it well!

They also made the decision to commit to it, consulted with the retail outlets and made it into something! They launched with a series of events, not unlike alive after five (I think theirs was actually called late until eight but I might be mistaken!) but they kept the momentum going... and within a year, it was popular to shop in the centre after work again!

Something that unfortunately the bods at the council are not capable of.

Newcastle centre is now open until 8pm each evening - not every shop opens every day until 8pm - the banks (which I was working at at the time were generally open until 6 with one or two nights until 8pm)...

It's certainly not impossible, and a bit of a neb around will see they weren't the only place to launch a successful initiative, but again, that would involve research!!

It does really frustrate me as this could be such a good thing... if only someone who had a clue actually took some responsibility and took charge!

That said, The building work is definitely starting to come along, so that in itself is actually somewhat encouraging...

The people who are leading the Alive after Five initiative are the city centre Business Improvement District (BID) NOT the Council. The Council are partners in it but they aren't leading it. Private sector are leading it and funding it.

They are well aware of Newcastle's successful initiative and that's what they hope to replicate here. They understand it's a longer term project and isn't going to happen overnight.

People currently work at Griffin house and spend money already at lunchtime and on the way home.

That's true, but they will be right in the middle of the shopping areas, and I would say more tempted then to pop out at lunchtime. It's a walk from Griffin House, a short walk admittedly, but nevertheless it's on the edge of the centre rather than the in the centre.

---------- Post added 06-06-2017 at 10:32 ----------

Why would you not appease investors? What's the alternative, to make it so difficult they go elsewhere. Nobody was throwing investment at Waingate, why was that? Wrong demographic maybe?

The people who are leading the Alive after Five initiative are the city centre Business Improvement District (BID) NOT the Council. The Council are partners in it but they aren't leading it. Private sector are leading it and funding it.

They are well aware of Newcastle's successful initiative and that's what they hope to replicate here. They understand it's a longer term project and isn't going to happen overnight.

Where SCC are involved that dosnt surprise me one little bit.

That's true, but they will be right in the middle of the shopping areas, and I would say more tempted then to pop out at lunchtime. It's a walk from Griffin House, a short walk admittedly, but nevertheless it's on the edge of the centre rather than the in the centre.

---------- Post added 06-06-2017 at 10:32 ----------

Why would you not appease investors? What's the alternative, to make it so difficult they go elsewhere. Nobody was throwing investment at Waingate, why was that? Wrong demographic maybe?

The people throwing investment at Waingate were the descendants of the same people that have have used and loved the traditional Markets area , an area that formed the very site in which Sheffields existence first saw light of day.

The Council and its planners have seen fit to destroy the history and heritage of OUR City by moving all things that have meant so much to the working people of this City to the more affluent south side.

The Moor( owned by Scotland it seems ) is a very convenient extension to the upmarket Ecclesfield Road area, in fact the Council has decided that as well as moving the traditional trading area they have also moved their work force and officers to the building that has managed to cut off any meaning full access to the main City centres.

Planning my <removed>

Edited by Groose

I think this is pretty exciting!

The build up of The Moor seems to have worked for our business (accommodation in the north city center) because as businesses have moved south it's left us a quiet few roads as a buffer against city center commotion. At least, it seems to have changed slightly in that direction in the last few years. So, peace for the guests, but all the action is only a walk away.

The Grey To Green project has really made the area feel a lot nicer, cleaner, more peaceful etc, too. I love a redevelopment.

Nothing more depressing that a redevelopment nobody uses, but I'm optimistic about this one.

It always seemed daft having city centre retail stretching from the Moor all the way to Lady's Bridge. Even in the heyday of city centre shopping no-one would realistically want to trek up hill and down Dale from one end to the other.

It makes sense to consolidate all the retail and have one vibrant area rather than two areas that feel run down and depressing - the area around the Castle Market had been awful for decades.

It always seemed daft having city centre retail stretching from the Moor all the way to Lady's Bridge. Even in the heyday of city centre shopping no-one would realistically want to trek up hill and down Dale from one end to the other.

It makes sense to consolidate all the retail and have one vibrant area rather than two areas that feel run down and depressing - the area around the Castle Market had been awful for decades.

I totally agree, and while the public transport links are marginally better at the other end of town thanks to the tram, the access for cars and parking is considerably better near the Moor.