Half billion redevelopment project announced.

Quite!

If all you meant by your comment was simply that there are no shops open, and there are no people shopping in the closed shops, then frankly that's such an obvious, literal and irrelevant point I'm not sure why you bothered.

If you're suggesting that simply opening the shops in the evening would encourage evening shopping then you're still wrong, unless you're still sticking to the blunt, literal sense.

There is a criticial mass of demand that is needed for the retailers based in the city centre to feel like it is financially worthwhile opening in the evenings. Clearly that point has not been reached otherwise they would have started doing it. I don't think you have a rebuttal to that, so instead we're getting a pedantic point about the literally sense of there being no shoppers in town?

There is a way of changing that, but it won't simply be to open the shops in the evening - that will ultimately fail in the long run if the amount of demand in the evenings doesn't increase. That can only be done by increasing the city centre population, and trying to attract more out of town shoppers to the centre by improving the environment and shops on offer (see The Moor etc.). If that increases the demand for evening shopping, then the shops will follow suit. In this sense I think Sheffield is moving in the right direction.

I totally agree with your last paragraph, that now we have something to keep people in the centre for longer there is a good chance that those people would happily do a bit of shopping before going to see a film or have a meal and therefore the incentive is there for the shops on the Moor at least to trial opening in the evenings, particularly in Thurs-Sun evening when the cinema and restaurants are likely to be at their busiest.

Quite!

If all you meant by your comment was simply that there are no shops open, and there are no people shopping in the closed shops, then frankly that's such an obvious, literal and irrelevant point I'm not sure why you bothered.

No, I meant (and said) that because there are no shops open, there are no people there to shop.

If the shops are not open it's guaranteed that there will be no-one around to shop in them.

You'd think it was obvious, but apparently not to the council.

If you're suggesting that simply opening the shops in the evening would encourage evening shopping then you're still wrong, unless you're still sticking to the blunt, literal sense.

It would be the bare minimum to enable it. Arguably it would encourage it more than literally having no open shops to shop in. Which is not to say that it would suddenly become popular, but it would at least be possible.

There is a criticial mass of demand that is needed for the retailers based in the city centre to feel like it is financially worthwhile opening in the evenings. Clearly that point has not been reached otherwise they would have started doing it. I don't think you have a rebuttal to that, so instead we're getting a pedantic point about the literally sense of there being no shoppers in town?

How could they possibly measure a demand when everything is closed.

If you go and stand in town on a Wed evening at 1930 it's like a ghost town. So you might conclude that nobody wants to shop at 1930. Meadowhall would tell you a different picture though.

There is a way of changing that, but it won't simply be to open the shops in the evening - that will ultimately fail in the long run if the amount of demand in the evenings doesn't increase. That can only be done by increasing the city centre population, and trying to attract more out of town shoppers to the centre by improving the environment and shops on offer (see The Moor etc.). If that increases the demand for evening shopping, then the shops will follow suit. In this sense I think Sheffield is moving in the right direction.

Yes, it's certainly not as simple as opening the shops. But if the shops aren't open, I can guarantee that it will remain as it is now, empty in the evening.

It's not chicken and egg. The shops very much have to come first, because people wanting to shop aren't going to wander around a closed city centre hoping that retailers notice them and open sometime in the next 6 months.

---------- Post added 03-05-2017 at 14:31 ----------

but most people don't go shopping before going to the cinema or for a meal and vice versa

Really? We quite often pop into a few shops in meadowhall before seeing a film and/or have some food before or after the film.

but most people don't go shopping before going to the cinema or for a meal and vice versa

Yes they do. Look at Meadowhall. Nearly everyone in the food court area and entering the cinema has shopping bags. Not saying the same thing would happen in the city centre, but I can't see that a trial run with the support of BID would be a bad thing.

Yes they do. Look at Meadowhall. Nearly everyone in the food court area and entering the cinema has shopping bags. Not saying the same thing would happen in the city centre, but I can't see that a trial run with the support of BID would be a bad thing.

so you have seen people taking shopping bags into the cinema ? is there a baggage holding space in there ?

Guest makapaka
so you have seen people taking shopping bags into the cinema ? is there a baggage holding space in there ?

It's a daft point anyway but have you been to that cinema? You could nigh on park your car with the leg room.

Interesting that Sheffield city centre is very popular for visitors, the Hotels are nearly full every weekend, the bars restaurants and cafes are very busy, the theatres and live music venues are well supported, Leopold Square, Devonshire Green, Tudor Square and the peace gardens are buzzing when the weather is nice.....and yet some Sheffield folk on here think it is a dump and haven't visited for ages.

Interesting that Sheffield city centre is very popular for visitors, the Hotels are nearly full every weekend, the bars restaurants and cafes are very busy, the theatres and live music venues are well supported, Leopold Square, Devonshire Green, Tudor Square and the peace gardens are buzzing when the weather is nice.....and yet some Sheffield folk on here think it is a dump and haven't visited for ages.

To some extent there'll always be some self-deprecation about where you're from but you're right there's some folk on here chronic dislike of Sheffield must be making their lives very miserable.

There's an array of different restaurants, pubs and bars that cater for all from real ale drinkers to late night revellers and some top quality theatres and music venues.

Still, Doncaster's market is better apparently.....