Another Victor Meldrew moment: Self-Serve checkouts

In Morrison's, you often get "surprising" items in the bagging area. I wonder how many customers are actually surprised by what they've just scanned? Unless they're buying an air horn? Maybe a jack-in-a-box?

Dont you just love the self service check outs.I go into the asda at 7.00 am before i get to work and i frequently get aggravated by the machine.Some of the items are too light to register the weight so that always causes a problem.Last time i get paracetamols on the self serve checkout.What got me in Tescos a few months back was why i had to have alcohol free wine signed off to make sure i was old enough to buy it.:confused:

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 19:19 ----------

In Morrison's, you often get "surprising" items in the bagging area. I wonder how many customers are actually surprised by what they've just scanned? Unless they're buying an air horn? Maybe a jack-in-a-box?

Thats true,it makes you think youre going to find 10 grand in used notes in your basket or a rattlesnake.

Unexpected item in the bagging area.....

Please wait for assistance...

-screams internally-

I do more than scream internally....By the end of the encounter, I wanted to strangle someone...

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 19:23 ----------

No it's over 18 to buy it in the UK - despite the ludicrous guff they plaster over the tills as the "law"

As for the unexpected item - the first thing I do is collect everything and walk it to the nearest manned till when that happens and if it's the kiosk only that's where I go and stuff the three item limit.....

<grumpyoldman>

Yes I realise it's an under 18 thing...But as you say, sometimes they say 21, sometimes they say if you 'look' under 25...etc....I'm bleedin' 61 for God's sake!!!!

I'm with you on the moving to a 'manned' till.....But on this occasion, that wasn't an option....With the hapless 'boy' not even being able to unlock the till.

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 19:24 ----------

Does it 'really' say..."Surprising Items?"....That's novel...I don't shop at Morrisons....

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 19:33 ----------

Dont you just love the self service check outs.I go into the asda at 7.00 am before i get to work and i frequently get aggravated by the machine.Some of the items are too light to register the weight so that always causes a problem.Last time i get paracetamols on the self serve checkout.What got me in Tescos a few months back was why i had to have alcohol free wine signed off to make sure i was old enough to buy it.:confused:

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 19:19 ----------

Thats true,it makes you think youre going to find 10 grand in used notes in your basket or a rattlesnake.

Hahaha...Just love those comments....Wish I was surprised enough to find ten grand....Not so keen on the rattlesnake...

Edited by PeteMorris

If it was T'Asboda on T'Cross there's little wonder there were no checkout operators. The etiquette for shopping in that particular boutique is to stick everything down the front of your pyjamas/hoodie onesie and swagger out down the magnetic moving stairless staircase without paying … before of course, roaring off in the stolen Astra.

closely followed by their toddler twin daughters , Nike and Reebok

...So I carefully cleared the bagging area as I know it weighs each item and expects a certain weight. Any deviation from the expected weight and it screams at you. No plastic bags hanging on it, no stray till receipts, no empty crisp packets. It's as clean as a whistle...

Just stick your bags on there before you start scanning, does my nut in when people slowly scan everything onto the packing area, pay and THEN pull the bags and slowly start packing. You are literally stealing minutes of my life and I want then back.

Just stick your bags on there before you start scanning, does my nut in when people slowly scan everything onto the packing area, pay and THEN pull the bags and slowly start packing. You are literally stealing minutes of my life and I want then back.

Next time I'm stuck in that situation (hopefully never), I'll try putting my own bags on there first to tare the weight first. Although, I seem to remember trying this previously and it didn't seem to work. Maybe there was another reason I tripped it into a hissy-fit...

I do more than scream internally....By the end of the encounter, I wanted to strangle someone...

---------- Post added 02-05-2017 at 19:23 ----------

Yes I realise it's an under 18 thing...But as you say, sometimes they say 21, sometimes they say if you 'look' under 25...etc....I'm bleedin' 61 for God's sake!!!!...

It's not possible to form a contract with a minor. I find it best to ask the checkout staff or the manger for ID so you can verify their age when they come up with stupid alcohol age demands.....

Real point here should be that these self checkouts are basically running people out of a job. Fortunately I don't think I'll ever be in a position where I have to work on the tills somewhere but there's millions that would jump at that chance...

It's not possible to form a contract with a minor. I find it best to ask the checkout staff or the manger for ID so you can verify their age when they come up with stupid alcohol age demands.....

But surely this just reduces you to their 'jobsworth' level..It's very plain that I'm a 'little' older than 25 :|

But surely this just reduces you to their 'jobsworth' level..It's very plain that I'm a 'little' older than 25 :|

Sadly it's all they understand.... I eventually trained them to not bug me for ID when I was buying alcohol.