Another Victor Meldrew moment: Self-Serve checkouts

Real point here should be that these self checkouts are basically running people out of a job. Fortunately I don't think I'll ever be in a position where I have to work on the tills somewhere but there's millions that would jump at that chance...

It's not just the job issue...I just much prefer human interaction.

Aldi and Lidl don't have self serve tills...Yes I know their checkout model has it's own issues, but at least I get served by a human.

---------- Post added 03-05-2017 at 13:31 ----------

Sadly it's all they understand.... I eventually trained them to not bug me for ID when I was buying alcohol.

It'd be much better if I was issued with my own (credit card shaped and sized) 'magic wand'...

Being 'bugged' by the alcohol buying self serve checkout is actually unavoidable in the circumstances detailed in my first post. ... That's why, if I've got booze, that gets scanned first, to give them time to get to me and 'approve' me.

It's the "Unexpected item in the bagging area" message that really infuriates me.

I find the 'please place item in the bagging area' message far more infuriating when you have already placed said item in the bagging area. Walkley ASDA is particualrly bad for this. You end up having to take the 'I don't want to bag this item' option, which you can only do three times before the bagging police have to show up to check your not scanning chuddy and sticking Chateauneuf du pape in your ruck sack.

But surely this just reduces you to their 'jobsworth' level..It's very plain that I'm a 'little' older than 25 :|

My mate was well impressed when he was asked for id because he is in his mid thirties,he now thinks he is a young looking sex machine.

Just stick your bags on there before you start scanning, does my nut in when people slowly scan everything onto the packing area, pay and THEN pull the bags and slowly start packing. You are literally stealing minutes of my life and I want then back.

Hold on! They can't seem to cope if there's already something in your bag (and I don't mean stuff you're trying to nick!).

Mr. P. Morris,

Peter I have every sympathy for your experience.

The following advice may be of help.

"Go limp".

"really tense one set of muscles-such as the arms or legs,or stomach or neck-then quckly let them go limp. The contrast between "tense" and "relaxed" should indicate what relaxed really feels like.

Dwell on the feeling" (Avoid collapsing onto the floor in a heap).

Source: The Little Book Of Calm.

Author. Paul. Wilson.

Penguin Books.1996.

:)

Edited by petemcewan

Real point here should be that these self checkouts are basically running people out of a job. Fortunately I don't think I'll ever be in a position where I have to work on the tills somewhere but there's millions that would jump at that chance...

You know this is basically communism right? Guarantee everyone a job even though it's highly inefficient and pushes prices up? Perhaps those millions of people you cite (even though we don't even have that many people on jobseekers at the moment) don't want to work on a checkout and want to be a doctor or a vet?

You know this is basically communism right? Guarantee everyone a job even though it's highly inefficient and pushes prices up? Perhaps those millions of people you cite (even though we don't even have that many people on jobseekers at the moment) don't want to work on a checkout and want to be a doctor or a vet?

But isn't that the point?...The self-serve checkouts, are anything but efficient. It's not peculiar to me...Is it?

But isn't that the point?...The self-serve checkouts, are anything but efficient. It's not peculiar to me...Is it?

Nope, they are blooming nightmare! My previous response was very tongue in cheek ;) I think they must be more efficient for the company using them else they wouldn't have paid for the machines, but for the customers? Maybe for a couple of items, but the best ones are the conveyor belts you do yourself, come on! How is that any quicker?

Nope, they are blooming nightmare! My previous response was very tongue in cheek ;) I think they must be more efficient for the company using them else they wouldn't have paid for the machines, but for the customers? Maybe for a couple of items, but the best ones are the conveyor belts you do yourself, come on! How is that any quicker?

No quicker at all...Especially if more than one person is queuing...

I suppose there are costings involved with the self-serve tills. But how can you put a price on customer annoyance / irritation / won't shop there if I have to use one of those machines...Etc..