10 years in prison for kodi

Haha, I remember, when was still called XMBC on old Xbox in 2005, it was a absolute beast of media machine then. Now, XMBC will get you to prison:)

Anyway, when you see all that trouble, configure decent VPN for Kodi, (paid VPN) it isn't worth it, just pay 15£ for Netflix or demand service.

Edited by Guest

Haha, I remember, when was still called XMBC on old Xbox in 2005, it was a absolute beast of media machine then. Now, XMBC will get you to prison:)

Anyway, when you see all that trouble, configure decent VPN for Kodi, (paid VPN) it isn't worth it, just pay 15£ for Netflix or demand service.

A VPN isn't only use to hide Kodi you know, it also makes web browsing, email and some other things fairly secure from prying eyes. The next step will be to probably ban them under the pretext they are being used for Kodi. There seems to be a bigger picture forming here.

I dont see anything in the sentencing guidelines to that effect... where do you get that from?

The sentencing guidelines leaflet I read last night, I'll try and find it again.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/web_causing_death_by_driving_definitive_guideline.pdf

Here, pages 16-17

---------- Post added 04-05-2017 at 10:29 ----------

A VPN isn't only use to hide Kodi you know, it also makes web browsing, email and some other things fairly secure from prying eyes. The next step will be to probably ban them under the pretext they are being used for Kodi. There seems to be a bigger picture forming here.

It's unlikely that VPN will be banned as it's crucial for everyday business use.

Anyone working at home will most likely need to log into their companies network to access files and such, that will all be done over VPN.

Yup, the government are already trying to make encryption have a back door. They either don't have a clue, or more likely they most definitely DO have a clue and are intentionally trying to remove any ability of a private citizen to not be monitored 24/7 and don't care if they dismantle the entire purpose of online security to do it. The entire Digital Communications Bill is laughed at by every single person who even vaguely understands how the internet works.

---------- Post added 04-05-2017 at 10:46 ----------

It's unlikely that VPN will be banned as it's crucial for everyday business use.

Anyone working at home will most likely need to log into their companies network to access files and such, that will all be done over VPN.

Sadly, I have enough reason to disagree with you here. I'm v well educated on the digital communications bill works and it's contents. I also know that the government *need* it to work at all costs. Once people start flocking to VPN or TOR en masses to avoid the new snooping the system fails instantly. The government will not let that happen, so they will look at banning or at the very least severely undermining VPN technologies by enforcing backdoor access to any encrypted traffic. It won't be long until TOR is banned in this country for starters as any government attempts to gain access to TOR in that manner would be robustly blocked and TOR will find itself on a blacklist.

you are forgetting one thing. Average kodi/torrent streaming user will not make an effort to install, configure and pay for VPN that can stream hd video nicely.

VPN for that purpose, is not the same level VPN that can be used for things like activating Russian cd keys. .

you are forgetting one thing. Average kodi/torrent streaming user will not make an effort to install, configure and pay for VPN that can stream hd video nicely.

VPN for that purpose, is not the same level VPN that can be used for things like activating Russian cd keys. .

But the digital communications bill has indeed made a lot of 'average' users far more aware of how they can now be monitored and how important it now is to take online privacy more seriously. I've convinced most of my family to either get a VPN or use TOR for their browsing. But I do agree that high speed streaming through a free VPN isn't going to be right for people using kodi, then again most people using kodi/torrents/usenet aren't your usual internet browsers either.

That seems extremely unlikely as they are a routine business and security tool.

The sentencing guidelines leaflet I read last night, I'll try and find it again.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/web_causing_death_by_driving_definitive_guideline.pdf

Here, pages 16-17.

That's causing death by driving though, not dangerous driving.

It's very odd there's a section for that.. I don't think it's the same offence as death by dangerous driving through. it's marked as S3(z)(b) not S1 of the RTA1988

---------- Post added 04-05-2017 at 11:20 ----------

That seems extremely unlikely as they are a routine business and security tool.

I can't see them getting rid of VPN's and expecting anything from banking to working at home etc to carry on.... they are used everywhere someone connects to their workplace these days as you say.

Users of ‘fully loaded’ Kodi boxes to hear a knock on the door – and face up to 10 years in jail for pirating films and TV shows?

Now that the government’s Digital Economy Bill has passed, people pirating online content could (in theory) face up to 10 years in prison, including for using Kodi boxes.

The maximum you can get for death by dangerous driving is 5 years so its good to know where their priorities are.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/03/kodi-box-users-could-face-up-to-10-years-in-jail-under-new-piracy-laws-6613543/#ixzz4g1xmT4GG

Maximum sentence for death by dangerous driving is 14 years. As for the government's priorities, they are already looking to change the law on dangerous driving: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38199720