10 years in prison for kodi

Seems that this has long been standard practice for e.g. PC games, and xbox/ps4 may also be tying your subscription to games you download-buy online (e.g. 'free' downloaded GWG games stop working when your gold xbox live sub lapses).

For instance, you can't resell The Sims 4 on PC: it comes with a one-time license key that you have to use (and register online) for installing the game, and the game won't re-install and launch independently of it (anybody who you loan the game DVDs to, or who buys them 2nd hand from you, has to buy a new one-time license key from EA to install and run the game from those loaned/2nd hand DVDs).

yeah games companies are actively doing / trying, same with dlcs if you want the dlcs then you have to buy new as secondhand you wont obviously be able to download again. so the more DLCs in the game the more useless itll be secondhand

Seems that this has long been standard practice for e.g. PC games, and xbox/ps4 may also be tying your subscription to games you download-buy online (e.g. 'free' downloaded GWG games stop working when your gold xbox live sub lapses).

For instance, you can't resell The Sims 4 on PC: it comes with a one-time license key that you have to use (and register online) for installing the game, and the game won't re-install and launch independently of it (anybody who you loan the game DVDs to, or who buys them 2nd hand from you, has to buy a new one-time license key from EA to install and run the game from those loaned/2nd hand DVDs).

I thought that the EU had ruled this to be illegal

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120703/11345519566/eu-court-says-yes-you-can-resell-your-software-even-if-software-company-says-you-cant.shtml

theyd also like to stop people from buying / selling games, music and dvds on the second hand market too, in fact theyve previously mentioned it here and there, because they "lose" money when somebody buys the same item a second time.

This includes charity shops.

Which is where it goes past wanting their slice of the cake (the same sort of cake theyve had for decades) and tilt it too far the other way.

What I suspect will see is writers etc etc getting paid more (or certainly demanding it) for the end product or time spent and far less on royalties which means the cost of producing films etc go up. Thats not to say the price of a DVD will go up.

True but try and tell Steam that you wish to sell your digital copy to someone else, same goes for Origin and Uplay. I have accounts on both and have many paid for games but cant transfer them to anyone else as they have no mechanism for doing so and probably wont in the future.

It just highlights what i have always thought,theft of money is more important than someones life in the eyes of the law.Crazy.

Regarding the Great Train Robbery of 1963, those who played major parts in the 3 million pound robbery received jail time of up to 35 years each. I guess this proves your theory. I think it does.

Angel1.

Well, someone had better tell EA: I had a French retail copy of The Sims 4 and a failed install on the (better spec) family PC (after Miss L00b rushed to 1st install it on her (lower spec) lappy before asking me) to prove it. Before I looked into the matter online and found out about it.

The CD key registers to the (online) origin account during 1st install, and locks to it to prevent double use (even with original discs in the 2nd PC drive) [basically, you'd have to 'loan' your origin credentials with the CDs if you wanted to lend the game to a friend].

God forbid you fail to archive, and then forget, the origin account & login details as well (...like Miss L00b :roll:). Nice set of £40-odd shiny coasters, put it that way :mad:

I gave up after a solid week of after-work support chats, emails and calls to EA/origin, and have been voting with my wallet since.

Edited by L00b

The paper also echoes the IP Act itself, noting that tech companies would be required to remove - or enable the removal - of encryption from communications as they would need to be provided "in an intelligible form" without "electronic protection".

The people who write these things really should have to learn about encryption before they're allowed to propose anything.

They should also take a look at repressive regimes like China, NK, Saudi, Iran, Iraq and how they try to control access to technologies which allow people to hide their speech from the government, about how those governments try and fail to restrict such technologies and about why people need the right to private communication that the government can't access.