Charges for bins

All around the country, councils are bringing in charges for some type of waste collection.

In Leeds they are starting a £20 fee for large item collection and charges for new bins.

It all seems rather random, pay for this, but not that. Do you pay charges?

The EU WEEE directive imposes the responsibility for the disposal of waste electrical and electronic equipment on the manufacturers or distributors of such equipment.

It requires that those companies establish an infrastructure for collecting WEEE, in such a way that "Users of electrical and electronic equipment from private households should have the possibility of returning WEEE at least free of charge".

Do councils claim money back from the retailers and manufactures?

I think the council have been charging to collect & dispose of large items for quite a while-sofas for example. The last I heard was that the cost was about £10 per item in Rotherham. It may have increased now.

I can't comment on electrical items other than they let you take them to the local recycle site.

What is WEEE an abbreviation of?