Charges for bins

It's the thin end of a very large wedge - the first step in the principle of charging for services that we already pay our council tax to provide.

I don't pay my council tax so the council can remove sofas for free. You can afford to buy a new sofa, you can afford to pay for removing the old one.

It's the thin end of a very large wedge - the first step in the principle of charging for services that we already pay our council tax to provide.

They have had their budget cut by 50% since 2010, you have got to expect change.

The EU WEEE directive imposes the responsibility for the disposal of waste electrical and electronic equipment on the manufacturers or distributors of such equipment.

It requires that those companies establish an infrastructure for collecting WEEE, in such a way that "Users of electrical and electronic equipment from private households should have the possibility of returning WEEE at least free of charge".

Do councils claim money back from the retailers and manufactures?

All sellers of electronics should let you swap your old with your new purchased item. They can charge you for collecting it but they can't charge you to dispose of it, it's up to you to get it to the store.

If you chose to dispose of it via the council, then the council doesn't claim the cost back from the retailer as that returns channel between customer and store is lost.

The electronics at the tip are passed onto a recycling centre which then separates it by class, weighs it and reports how much back to the Producer Compliance Scheme (and then the EU), which is basically a collection of electronics manufacturers who all chip in to reimburse the recycling centre. That's my understanding anyway.

I don't pay my council tax so the council can remove sofas for free. You can afford to buy a new sofa, you can afford to pay for removing the old one.

I'm not concerned with the easy disposal of furniture, I'm talking about the end of the National Health Service and social care.

The council makes a service available, the rest of your life is up to you though... :suspect:

Can't see what the rest of my life has to do with but as far as I can tell the council get enough cash to make the service available for free.

---------- Post added 05-05-2017 at 13:13 ----------

Presumably you got it to your house ok, correct?

No I usually have it delivered.

---------- Post added 05-05-2017 at 13:15 ----------

Then public transport is available or you can pay someone to come collect it... the disposal is still free.

My old settee isn't allowed on the bus'

---------- Post added 05-05-2017 at 13:15 ----------

Then public transport is available or you can pay someone to come collect it... the disposal is still free.

My old settee won't fit my car either.

---------- Post added 05-05-2017 at 13:19 ----------

[/color]

Come on, you'll be expecting people to take responsibility for their own actions next.

People don't though, do they. That's why I pass furniture and fridge freezers and televisions dumped on the pavements and for the £1500 council tax we pay each year I expect the council to take responsibility, because it's not working as it is, is it ?

Edited by spilldig

People don't though, do they. That's why I pass furniture and fridge freezers and televisions dumped on the pavements and for the £1500 council tax we pay each year I expect the council to take responsibility, because it's not working as it is, is it ?

David Cameron said that he was going to fix our broken society, but instead its getting worse, I am doing ok though.