Eurovision - Should we leave?

Puggie

Ladbrokes commissioned a poll which found that 53.6% of us Brits want to leave the Eurovision song contest.

Of those who want a 'Brexit' from Eurovision, 63% said the contest is a “big waste of money” whilst 26% say it’s a “national embarrassment”.

Perhaps it's time to say bon voyage?

Source: http://attitude.co.uk/uk-voters-want-to-leave-the-eurovision-song-contest-for-good/

I watch it for the comedy value. Not sure how it's a waste of money for us, we never win therefore never have to host it.

Taxpayers (through TV licence) pay a contributory amount for having a British entry every year.

A Freedom of Information [request] made to the BBC back in 2012 found that £310,000 was paid for that year's entry alone.

More people in the UK are watching it. 6.8 to 7.2 million from 2015 to 2016

More people want us to stay in. 44% in 2012 to 46% in 2017

Thankfully programming is not decided by referenda or politicians or people on social media.

Neither unfortunately is it decided by quality.

However an increasing number of people - well over 7 000 000, did not switch off or change channel.

They were spared from mind numbing soaps and adverts and may even been entertained or educated by a live broadcasts from strange places. I do not know.

"At the end of the day, Eurovision remains one of the most watched programmes in the UK. It is also one of the cheapest highly-viewed programmes the BBC will broadcast throughout the year." source

Edited by Annie Bynnol
source

The problem we have is we wouldn't even get past the semi-finals most years if we didn't pay higher fees to the european broadcast union. So if we paid a lower and potentially fairer rate then we'd never even likely get into the final anyway.

I love Eurovision for all it's utter campness, hidden politics and costumes and I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if we decided not to enter anymore, I'd still watch it and I'm sure the same view is held my a lot of Eurovision watchers.

Perhaps, pay the 'standard rate' to EBU and enter the semi-final like everyone else for a couple of years and see what happens. If we continue to come dead last with a song that's not absolute tripe then pull out. The problem is we have a tendency to enter rubbish songs that doesn't help our cause.

We can all go watch together in Showroom!

I'll bring the cookies from Croatia!

Karaoke later!

Edited by Guest