Zero hours contract and claiming JSA

Family member, divorced, 2 children, shared care, rented property and just been made redundant, been to Job Centre to claim JSA, claim just going through system, but has managed to secure a zero hours contract, 16 hours week 1, ditto week 2, 4 week 3, then ?.

On advising Job Centre they could not attend first sign on appointment due to this, Job Centre said they had to attend, when asked if they were seriously telling her to turn down work, they reluctantly rescheduled the appointment, but when told the initial work was for 16 hours they said the claim should be cancelled as 16 hours is considered full time work. We have trawled the government web sites regarding job centre appointments and what should happen and also the details about zero hours and benefits claim and what we have read, does not seem to reflect what our family member is being told. Can anyone give me some advise, pointers or info please, I'd be really grateful, thanks

I'd advise her to speak to a more informed staff member, face to face.

16 hours sounds about right for being able to claim? If they're still being fussy just tell them it's between 4-16 I don't know.

a zero hours contract, 16 hours week 1, ditto week 2, 4 week 3, then ?.

Make your mind up: is it zero hours, or is it 16 hours. It cannot be both.

---------- Post added 05-05-2017 at 11:40 ----------

They may have changed the relevant rules since I last claimed, but it used to be the case that if you work on average 16 hours/week or more then you are unable to claim benefit.

The people on the front desk would flatly deny this, and I never did find out over what period the average should be taken over, but that is what the rules were.

As an easier answer, I would suggest you ask the employer if you can reduce your hours to 15½ so that you can keep your claim going.

Edited by Hairyloon

Family member, divorced, 2 children, shared care, rented property and just been made redundant, been to Job Centre to claim JSA, claim just going through system, but has managed to secure a zero hours contract, 16 hours week 1, ditto week 2, 4 week 3, then ?.

On advising Job Centre they could not attend first sign on appointment due to this, Job Centre said they had to attend, when asked if they were seriously telling her to turn down work, they reluctantly rescheduled the appointment, but when told the initial work was for 16 hours they said the claim should be cancelled as 16 hours is considered full time work. We have trawled the government web sites regarding job centre appointments and what should happen and also the details about zero hours and benefits claim and what we have read, does not seem to reflect what our family member is being told. Can anyone give me some advise, pointers or info please, I'd be really grateful, thanks

Wouldnt your claim now be for working tax credits?

They are correct. the cut off point is 16 hours at which stage the person needs to claim working tax credits. If they asked the employer (as suggested by hairyloon) to work 15.5hours then they could still claim JSA , but it would be deducted £ for £ and it is unlikely they would get any actual JSA money. They could still get other passport benefits though such as HB without having to prove much.

Get a benefits assessment and see how much better off they would be on WTC. As they know they are going to be working that for 4 weeks then a WTC claim should be submitted asap.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/working-and-child-tax-credits/