Teacher wouldn't let daughter go to the loo

My daughter 8 yr 3, asked the teacher if she could go to the toilet and was told no, she should have been at lunch. She asked 3 times and was still told no, she was bursting and had to 1hr 45 mins until the end of the day.

Don't know whether to speak to the school?

She said she really needed a wee and that she couldn't concentrate on her work properly and that she had to race to the toilet when the bell went and only just made it. Just though it was a bit harsh for the teacher to make her wait so long, she is only young afterall

On the face of it, being told 'no you can't go to the toilet' is unnecessarily harsh, especially to a youngster who may struggle to control their bladder. On the other hand, if she makes a habit of wanting to leave the class to go to the toilet, well maybe that's different....

It was 10 minutes after lunch, so can see the teachers side as well, but still think it was wrong to make her hold it for nearly 2 hours

Doesn't matter how long after lunch it was, your daughter needed to go and wasn't allowed to.

I would have a word with the school about it and put it this way if your child told social services that you didn't let her use the toilet for nearly 2 hrs I'm sure an investigation into suspected neglect would be started.

I think that you should not be blaming the teachers, but the small set of children who have got used to being able to get out of lessons with no repercussions by claiming that they need to go to the toilet for the situation as it is now.

If your daughter did manage to go for the full lesson without wetting herself then that did indeed show her that she didn't really need to go, and it will hopefully teach her to go to the toilet before the lesson starts. Adults plan ahead to go to the toilet before long journeys and spells when they may not be able to go, and the children learn very quickly that going when the toilet is available is sensible.

Doesn't matter how long after lunch it was, your daughter needed to go and wasn't allowed to.

I would have a word with the school about it and put it this way if your child told social services that you didn't let her use the toilet for nearly 2 hrs I'm sure an investigation into suspected neglect would be started.

When your daughter is at school, she has got to learn to follow the schools rules; you have got to trust the teachers.

Some teachers may be really good and some poor, but the children have got to learn the rules.