Teacher wouldn't let daughter go to the loo

In my opinion the teachers actions doesn't need justifying. Children should go to the toilet at break and lunch unless they have a medical condition. In 5 years of teaching they have always been my rules and thus far no accidents or complaints

---------- Post added 06-05-2017 at 09:14 ----------

---------- Post added 06-05-2017 at 09:15 ----------

What I meant by toilet dance, was that the boy thought that by jiggling he would be allowed to go. He asked as we were coming in from break, if he needed to go he should have gone then

Edited by victay

http://www.sciencealert.com/watch-what-happens-when-you-hold-in-your-pee

Part of adulting is knowing when it's appropriate to go and when you have to hold it for a little while. Children don't learn this by being dictated to, they learn it through experience. It's also potentially harmful to force a child to not go when they do actually need to, and unless you can see their bladder, you aren't in a position to second guess what they tell you.

In my opinion the teachers actions doesn't need justifying. Children should go to the toilet at break and lunch unless they have a medical condition. In 5 years of teaching they have always been my rules and thus far no accidents or complaints

---------- Post added 06-05-2017 at 09:14 ----------

---------- Post added 06-05-2017 at 09:15 ----------

What I meant by toilet dance, was that the boy thought that by jiggling he would be allowed to go. He asked as we were coming in from break, if he needed to go he should have gone then

I stand corrected. In 5 years of teaching at primary school you have never had a kid have an accident.

That is remarkable, apologies for questioning your methods.

http://www.sciencealert.com/watch-what-happens-when-you-hold-in-your-pee

Part of adulting is knowing when it's appropriate to go and when you have to hold it for a little while. Children don't learn this by being dictated to, they learn it through experience. It's also potentially harmful to force a child to not go when they do actually need to, and unless you can see their bladder, you aren't in a position to second guess what they tell you.

In many parts of the world, toilet training begins early--sometimes within weeks of birth. Without being punished or abused, babies learn basic toilet training skills before they can walk. And they never wear diapers.

The situation is very different in the United States, where children may wear diapers for 2, 3 or even 4 years. According to a recent study, African-American parents believe that toilet training should begin around 18 months. Caucasian-American parents believe that training should start even later--after 25 months, on average (Horn et al 2006).

Quite surprised about the USA.

- See more at: http://www.parentingscience.com/potty-training-age.html#sthash.VHcjMUcG.dpuf

I do tell the children at the beginning of the year my rules, and contact parents and ask about any toileting problems. Also the loos are literally outside my room, so I am positive they would go if so desperate even after I had said no

I do tell the children at the beginning of the year my rules, and contact parents and ask about any toileting problems. Also the loos are literally outside my room, so I am positive they would go if so desperate even after I had said no

What age group are your kids?

They are year 2 6/7

Well at that age then they should fully understand the rules and be more responisible "toileters".

I apologise for giving you grief.

It's about time these youngsters learnt some order and respect anyway.

They can't just go to the loo willy nilly like they run the place, no way!