Teacher wouldn't let daughter go to the loo

This is the main problem. Once one has gone, not only do you get multiple requests for people to go, you also lose the ability to say "no". It is very difficult to justify allowing one student to go and refusing that right to another.

The trick is to be able to distiguish between a child who needs to go to the toilet and one who merely wants to go. If a child really needs to go, they should be allowed. Otherwise, they should be encouraged to use break time and lunch time.

You get to know the ones who try it on.

Often the kids just need to move about a bit. About 20 minutes into a lesson we used to have a desk workout - a chance to stand up, move their bodies, twist and stretch. Kids enjoyed it, and it stopped them asking to go to the loo.

School is supposed to prepare you for adult life right?

As an adult, I've rarely been told that I cannot go to the bathroom, so it seems inappropriate to tell that to a child.

---------- Post added 05-05-2017 at 23:51 ----------

I thought someone would have said this if I looked back.

As an adult, when did you last ask permission and have it denied to go to the loo?

Personally I just get up and go, as an adult mind, fitting into society, where weeing at your desk is a bit of a no no.

I wholeheartedly agree.

mayfa

The girl asked 10 minutes after lunch meaning she could have gone then. My year 2 class know to go at break and lunch and that I will say no in lesson time. Unless a child has a medical problem then there is no reason for toilet breaks during class.

Can I ask. If you needed to go to the toilet 10 minutes after break time would you wait 2 hrs, somehow i don't think so. I have been told by the Royal Hallamshire Hospital that it's a medical fact that holding your urine for too long is not good for you. People need to realise this and act accordingly, especially people in a supervisory position such as teachers that are supposed to be in charge of the childs welfare while in school hours. I am disabled and I can assure you that no matter how good you are at the forward planning of the toilet needs it does not allways work as many disabled people would also confirm. Mafya seems to be the only one that has written a post with any sence on the matter regarding a child.

Edited by therascal

mayfa

The girl asked 10 minutes after lunch meaning she could have gone then. My year 2 class know to go at break and lunch and that I will say no in lesson time. Unless a child has a medical problem then there is no reason for toilet breaks during class.

Are you medically trained?

---------- Post added 07-05-2017 at 06:45 ----------

By not letting them go they learn to go at break and lunch which helps them when they get to secondary school.

Are you familiar with your secondary partner school's policy on toilets?

Please read the page in the link below.

https://www.eric.org.uk/right-to-go

Edited by Lex Luthor

I think the way I would handle it is this...

I'd ask my child if this had occurred before? i.e. her wanting to go to the toilet during lessons? and I'd try and establish from that, whether it's something that she is doing regularly, or whether this was a one-off incident.

If it's happening regularly, I'd ask her at what times of day, or in which lessons it seems to happen most? And I'd want to establish what the usual response of the teacher is?

I think this is important because it could just be poor planning on her part, but it could be other reasons as well, it could be stress related to the starting of a lesson, it could even be a water infection. It could equally be "gaming" on her part - this is common amongst children in school. Some find it fun to disrupt lessons by requesting to go to the toilet.

I'd ask her what she plans to do about it next time - i.e. how does she think she can avoid it happening again? (Hopefully she'll give you the answer that she'll make sure she goes to the toilet at lunchtime).

I think most of all, I'd want to understand how much this incident has upset her? If at all? Is she just telling you about this out of making conversation, or is she concerned and wants you to do something about it? If it's something that is worrying her then I would definitely speak to the teacher about it.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that I'd go "blaming" anyone - but I'd want to find out from the teacher's perspective what the issue was? I'd also want to ask the teacher if she is doing this regularly? If not, then I'd take the view that it was unreasonable for the teacher to deny her going to the toilet, even though it may have been shortly after lunch break, for an isolated incident like this.

If she is regularly gaming in this way then I'd have no issue with the teacher's position and I'd be having a word with her to reinforce she should go to the toilet in break time and not be losing lesson time going to the toilet.

Not all kids are good. Even good kids are bad sometimes. Same goes for teachers.

Has the teacher been asked what has happened? Everyone is basing the professionalism of a teacher on what an 8 year old has told their parents.

But children do tell little white lies or exaggerate at times.

The teacher may have an entirely different story to tell. Ask the teacher what happened or ask the Headteacher to find out what happened before we have a SF lynch mob at the school gates.

Gods sake!

I was trying to formulate a response to the thread, then saw this. You've said it better than I could!

That's quite a narrow minded view of the world, if you don't mind me saying so. I'm an adult too, but can't just "get up and go" when I want at work as I don't have a desk job! Not everyone has easy access to toilets at work (or any, in some cases).

I'm not sure how describing a common workplace scenario can be "narrow minded".

I can't believe some people are siding with the teacher; or that teachers have so much control that a child might wet itself before daring to leave the class. I also hear that academies are a backward step full of rules and regulations to break children's freewill.

Guest makapaka
I can't believe some people are siding with the teacher; or that teachers have so much control that a child might wet itself before daring to leave the class. I also hear that academies are a backward step full of rules and regulations to break children's freewill.

Teachers have been saying this to kids for years.

They're trying to teach people's kids and if every 5 mins different kids were disappearing off to the loo it would be a bit disruptive.

They're probably just trying to get it into the kids head that if they need to go - go before a lesson.

I'm sure the teacher would make a judgement call so I wouldn't be worrying about burst bladders etc