Teacher wouldn't let daughter go to the loo

School is supposed to prepare you for adult life right?

As an adult, I've rarely been told that I cannot go to the bathroom, so it seems inappropriate to tell that to a child.

---------- Post added 05-05-2017 at 23:51 ----------

I thought someone would have said this if I looked back.

As an adult, when did you last ask permission and have it denied to go to the loo?

Personally I just get up and go, as an adult mind, fitting into society, where weeing at your desk is a bit of a no no.

The teaching of "go at lunch time" is not about an adult being told they can't go to the toilet in adult life, but about the fact that in adult life there are many occasions you simply cannot go to the toilet immediately. So a good life lesson, plan ahead, learn self discipline.

This happened to me at school (about a hundred years ago) I really played it up to my parents and a word was had with the teacher. In reality I could have waited, but I knew if I went some others would follow suit and it would be a laugh.

---------- Post added 07-05-2017 at 14:28 ----------

What are you talking about "sad miserable world". Its real life. Its called being an adult.

The world doesn't stop just because we get an urge to go to the loo. Our body is designed to deal with that.

God sake, if we lost such ability we would all be stopping dead in the street and peeing everywhere every time we need to go. Alternatively, we would all be sitting there wetting our knickers if we were sat down somewhere where we cant go.

Some people need to grow up.

Well said !!

What are you talking about "sad miserable world". Its real life. Its called being an adult.

The world doesn't stop just because we get an urge to go to the loo. Our body is designed to deal with that.

God sake, if we lost such ability we would all be stopping dead in the street and peeing everywhere every time we need to go. Alternatively, we would all be sitting there wetting our knickers if we were sat down somewhere where we cant go.

Some people need to grow up.

quite right except, the point is we are talking about a child who hasn't yet!!

Edited by phil752

I'm not sure how describing a common workplace scenario can be "narrow minded".

Just pointing out that even as an adult, it's not always possible to "just get up and go" as you posted. There are many jobs where someone has to wait for an appropriate time to take a toilet break.

OK, so maybe I'm not told by someone else that I can't go to the toilet, but it takes a lot of planning for me to be able to go in my working day. I don't think the bosses would be too happy about me taking half an hour (or more) out to find a toilet...

Guest sibon
You didn't just point that out. You called me narrow minded.

Nope. She said that your post was a narrow minded view of the world.

A totally different thing.

Can I just say that today 10 minutes before lunch a boy asked if he could visit the toilet and thinking back to the posts on this thread I said yes and to be quick. A colleague brought him back to class as he was running down the corridor with another child who had been let out from another class, so much for giving him the benefit of the doubt. I decided that i would return to my old policy of no toilet during class

A girl asked if she could nip to the loo as she came in from lunch, I explained that she should have gone at lunch and the answer was no. She did ask again later on and said she was really desperate,but i stuck to my guns and said no, she hung on until the end of the day

Sorry if people disagree with my views on the subject, but not letting them out of class is what seems to work for me