Former pub in town

My first foray into "town" was in 1983 and I remember going in Le Metro that night.

I take it that was a drinking 'foray' in 1983 Mr.Top, or had you led a sheltered childhood ?

Oh my god, and everyone says the Penthouse was sleazy. LOL You had to wear a tie to go in there, seriously?:confused:

Well Mr.T. The picture kindly provided by Jim doesn't really represent what the building later looked like. The photo is from 1975 but looks mid-60's to me. The building which was a former school, was by the early 80's seriously renovated, the ironmonger's for instance had gone. The downstairs which was the 'Le Metro 'bar, had been made into a smart looking Paris subway station without trains , platforms and turnstiles of course. It was not a club (as in you did not have to pay to enter) and closed at 11pm but was ran on similar principles ie: Dress code for blokes, jackets ( not sure now if they insisted on ties) definitely no denim or sneakers and 'doormen'. It was a very nice place but as I left Sheffield in 1986 I'm don't know what happened to it or the upstairs - called 'Dicken's' I understand. The place was on Carver Street on the right side going from Division Street to West Street. If you can get to 'Google maps UK' you can see the place now as it's called 'Viper Rooms'.

Well Mr.T. The picture kindly provided by Jim doesn't really represent what the building later looked like. The photo is from 1975 but looks mid-60's to me. The building which was a former school, was by the early 80's seriously renovated, the ironmonger's for instance had gone. The downstairs which was the 'Le Metro 'bar, had been made into a smart looking Paris subway station without trains , platforms and turnstiles of course. It was not a club (as in you did not have to pay to enter) and closed at 11pm but was ran on similar principles ie: Dress code for blokes, jackets ( not sure now if they insisted on ties) definitely no denim or sneakers and 'doormen'. It was a very nice place but as I left Sheffield in 1986 I'm don't know what happened to it or the upstairs - called 'Dicken's' I understand. The place was on Carver Street on the right side going from Division Street to West Street. If you can get to 'Google maps UK' you can see the place now as it's called 'Viper Rooms'.

It stayed as Dickens above Metro below for a number of years, not sure if it ever closed completely but it evolved later as Viper Rooms which I have never been in.