VE day today. Does any one know?

I wonder how many people in the UK remember that it is VE day today (i.e. the day the second world war ended in Europe)?

We don't seem to celebrate it here, unlike in some other European countries.

Nor will we celebrating 'Europe day' tomorrow.

when we leave the EU, perhaps we can have a 'FEU' (freedom from the EU day').

I wonder how many people in the UK remember that it is VE day today (i.e. the day the second world war ended in Europe)?

We don't seem to celebrate it here, unlike in some other European countries.

Nor will we celebrating 'Europe day' tomorrow.

when we leave the EU, perhaps we can have a 'FEU' (freedom from the EU day').

Maybe we can all wave about bent bananas, or crap on a beach in celebration of getting rid of the hated eu blue flag scheme.

Cant wait.

I do seem to recall there were celebrations in 2015, given it was the 70th anniversary of the end of WW2....Or were there big celebrations in 2005? My memory s going!

Edited by Mister M

Bank Holiday here in France, went to the brief ceremony at Cap Ferrat about five hours ago.

Quite well attended.

Possibly because WW2 is more vividly in the minds of the French, because France was occupied by the Germans for several years and major battles were fought on its soil.

Yes, I was in England in May of 1995 and also in 2005 and remember celebrations both times. Some pubs were playing Vera Lynn records etc and lots of people dressed in 40's gear on the actual anniversary. This was in Chesterfield town centre both times

it is a shme we don't celebrate times of our country being united.