The character of Sheffield people

Ask for a turnip and they'll give you a swede

Ask for a fishcake and they'll give a you a fish scallop

Ask for a rissole and they'll give you a fishcake

Ask for a ham/bacon/cheese roll and they'll give you your filling of choice in a sort of flat soggy round piece of bread they call a breadcake which sticks behind your teeth

They put gravy on fish and chips .... WTF

arghhh!!!!

They don't wear coats when going out on the town in January using the bus or tram

They like to tip out of the pub at 11pm and consume fish and chips just before going to bed

The local delicacy is a Greggs sausage roll/pasty to be consumed whilst texting and walking round a shopping mall with a child in a pushchair

Many people who use the buses smell of wee

Local fashion is roll up smoking men in football shirts and women in black leggings both sporting hideous tattoos in the most inappropriate places

Smoking is compulsory in Sheffield

The only thriving businesses are Bookies, Cash Converters, Brighthouse, Vaping Salons, Tanning Shops and Charity Shops

Every one with any sense has done one years ago and with probability will not return

My friend, this is Sheffield, arghhhhhh!!!

ha ha the truth !

Hello All

I,m new to this forum and Sheffied. As I,m hunting for somewhere to live and dealing with my new job I,m meeting a lot of new people.

What would you say are the differentiating characteristics of people from Sheffield? The good ones, the bad ones, the unusual ones?

Thanks

Da ducky88

PS if any has a property to let south of crooks and west of the centre, drop me a pm, thanks :-)

The people are very friendly. I moved here from the other side of the Pennines, and immediately felt the difference between here and most Lancashire towns and cities.

You should try talking to people other than business people, might broaden your horizons a bit :wink::wink:

Son of a coal miner mate. Brought up in poverty - worked in several different industries - lived all over the UK and in several countries overseas - close friends include folk from all walks of life - no, my reference points are very broad. But do tell me what I’m missing?

---------- Post added 29-01-2018 at 22:24 ----------

Do I detect sour grape's

I’m sure you do! Because that’s your way of dismissing valid criticism of what is wrong and needs to change. I think I’ve been totally objective and fair with my remarks based on my experience. I am not the person I refer to who got knocked back when trying to create a business here. I’ve not been in that situation.

But I have been in the situation of needing to fly international professional business people into the UK for meetings and chose other cities over Sheffield for that because they have an airport and a 5 star hotel for a start!

Pages from a Cold Point

Well alot of views all in all. And thanks to every one for them.

And now for my reflections after a little while being here.

I walk to work every day. And on the journey, in either direction, i've never seen a single face which looks happy. This is extremely off putting if i'm honezt. Additionally, i,ve not had a single person volunteer a conversation with me. Agaist that, when i have started conversations, i've found the person personable. So my impression is that Sheffield people hide their light under a bushel.

As for the city and suburbs, if you're young i guess it could be ok. If you're older and came here alone, i havent found a lot of diversion within the city. I'm not interested in spectator sports or shopping. The peaks are nice, but access is limited to weekends if you want to see them in the daylight.

So i guess i'm going to be cursed now, but they're my impressions so far anyway. They may yet change.

I personally find that its a friendly place. Perhaps its important to remember that in the modern world people seem more unhappy in general, but on that depressing note, comparatively I still find Sheffield a nicer place with, generally speaking nicer people :)

Son of a coal miner mate. Brought up in poverty - worked in several different industries - lived all over the UK and in several countries overseas - close friends include folk from all walks of life - no, my reference points are very broad. But do tell me what I’m missing?

---------- Post added 29-01-2018 at 22:24 ----------

I’m sure you do! Because that’s your way of dismissing valid criticism of what is wrong and needs to change. I think I’ve been totally objective and fair with my remarks based on my experience. I am not the person I refer to who got knocked back when trying to create a business here. I’ve not been in that situation.

But I have been in the situation of needing to fly international professional business people into the UK for meetings and chose other cities over Sheffield for that because they have an airport and a 5 star hotel for a start!

Almost all your talk is money based 'poverty/different industries/knocked back/international proffessional business people/blah/blah/ blah'

Whats that got to do with the CHARACTER of Sheffield people

Until you have lived elsewhere you have no grounds to complain about Sheffield.

A few years ago I had the misfortune to have to live in a West Yorkshire town - sorry city -for a year. A 'city' not far away from Leeds beginning with 'B'.

Not until I lived there did I appreciate my lovely home city of Sheffield.

Sheffield might not be 'up there' with the likes of Leeds and Manchester but I am glad of it.

Sheffield has still got the small town and friendly mentality which makes it endearing. So many people move away but they very often return to this city which is still a large town with old fashioned friendliness and care.

I moved away but couldn't wait to move back. Sheffield born and bred and proud of it - warts and all.

Edited by Daven

Until you have lived elsewhere you have no grounds to complain about Sheffield.

A few years ago I had the misfortune to have to live in a West Yorkshire town - sorry city -for a year. A 'city' not far away from Leeds beginning with 'B'.

Not until I lived there did I appreciate my lovely home city of Sheffield.

Sheffield might not be 'up there' with the likes of Leeds and Manchester but I am glad of it.

Sheffield has still got the small town and friendly mentality which makes it endearing. So many people move away but they very often return to this city which is still a large town with old fashioned friendliness and care.

I moved away but couldn't wait to move back. Sheffield born and bred and proud.

Totally agree I have to go to Leeds every Wednesday, they are a right bunch of miserable buggers!

Totally agree I have to go to Leeds every Wednesday, they are a right bunch of miserable buggers!

Haha - my son lives there now and I think he would agree with you. :hihi:

Leeds lives in the shadow of Manchester and London and has a very heavy and fatty chip on it's shoulder.

Edited by Daven