Mental health and depression

They don't have to hide it but to come on tv and tell the whole country about it can't make things easier for them'we all suffer from depression some time in our lives things like can we pay the bill relative dying or unwell moving jobs but its something we have to handle,a lot of depression with the celebs is am I going to be in the public limelight next week will I get another big contract or in Collymores case will I get done for hitting Ulrika ka ka ka.That is my opinion which doesn't make it right.

Not true. A lot of people who do suffer from depression end their lives- they've suffered from depression.

It's these kind of misconceptions (that everyone has suffered depression) that leads some people, some of whom are celebrities, to speak openly and publicly about their condition.

Traditionally, of course, mental illness and depression have been considered shamefull. Sufferers would be (and still are) classed as 'weak', so victims didn't speak of it, due to fear of repercussions and bullying.

I'm no fan of celebrity, but I do appreciate the fact that some celebrities have had the courage and sense of social responsibility to talk openly and publicly about their conditions- hopefully that will make the bullies think twice before they open their mouths in future.

Not true. A lot of people who do suffer from depression end their lives- they've suffered from depression.

It's these kind of misconceptions (that everyone has suffered depression) that leads some people, some of whom are celebrities, to speak openly and publicly about their condition.

Traditionally, of course, mental illness and depression have been considered shamefull. Sufferers would be (and still are) classed as 'weak', so victims didn't speak of it, due to fear of repercussions and bullying.

I'm no fan of celebrity, but I do appreciate the fact that some celebrities have had the courage and sense of social responsibility to talk openly and publicly about their conditions- hopefully that will make the bullies think twice before they open their mouths in future.

I wonder if the so called celebs came on tv to help others did this free of charge?Louis Spence was on this morning talking about it and the ITV doctor says its good that famous people like Churchill and Louis Spence come out and talk about it.

Katie Piper followed,now she does have something to be depressed but fought it and won.

I wonder if the so called celebs came on tv to help others did this free of charge?Louis Spence was on this morning talking about it and the ITV doctor says its good that famous people like Churchill and Louis Spence come out and talk about it.

Katie Piper followed,now she does have something to be depressed but fought it and won.

I'm not a fan of celebs coming on TV telling us about their depression to be honest, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and believe they're trying to help.

I'd rather see proper information out there about what depression is, which might help you understand that it's not about 'having something to be depressed about' and winning.

Often the exact opposite is true. Life can be wonderful, but in the middle of it all on the inside you're wanting to die. There's nothing concrete to fight against because there's nothing wrong, but you can't bear to get out of bed and face the day. There's a hollow inside where something else should be, but you don't know what. Nobody can help because you can't express what it is that's wrong. You can go through the motions of a normal life, seem normal, even laugh and joke, but there's no joy, no pleasure, no point to it all.

It's hard to describe to someone who's never experienced it, but it's not being sad or 'fed up,' we all feel that at times, this is much more fundamental and it needs professional help.

They don't have to hide it but to come on tv and tell the whole country about it can't make things easier for them'we all suffer from depression some time in our lives things like can we pay the bill relative dying or unwell moving jobs but its something we have to handle...

Being sad or worried about an event is not depression.

These are temporary feelings that pass when said matter is resolved or you move on. Everyone gets sad or worried but not everyone gets depression.

I suffer from depression, I have a good job, no money issues, good health, healthy family - nothing to be worried about, but at times in the past I have struggled or not been able to get out of bed to face the day.

It's hard for those who have never suffered to understand - but your analogy of comparing depression to a bill that can't be paid is like comparing someone with a broken leg to a grazed knee.

You wouldn't think the person with a broken leg should walk it off.

Mental illness is difficult because you can't see it - but if you imagine it like a serious physical injury it is easier to understand how it could affect someone.

There is an undercurrent in your post that seems to suggest that sufferers should pull themselves together. That demonstrates a lack of understanding of the condition.

On your points about perception of mental illness, it still irks me when people still use the word schizophrenia to say someone has a split personality. This is still used often and by people who should know better. Why it bothers me is that my daughter, who is now 41 was diagnosed with this terrible condition on a 'worst case scenario' basis at 17. She has dealt with depression, paranoia, hallucinations and of course the horrible voices in her head, all on a massive scale with lots of time in hospital. However she has never been anyone but our daughter and is now enjoying life , except for the voices, which she handles really well as she has matured However there are lots who never make it to Natalie's age but she has a great doctor and we have done our jobs as parents. There are lots out there not so lucky though , God bless them.

I'm not a fan of celebs coming on TV telling us about their depression to be honest...

Why not? It raises awareness of the problem and helps reduce the stigma. I am not seeing any down side.

It's hard to describe to someone who's never experienced it, but it's not being sad or 'fed up,' we all feel that at times, this is much more fundamental and it needs professional help.

How do any of us tell? And are there not different levels of it?

Is there a comparison in regard to colds and 'flu? In that some people with a cold will make a big fuss that they have 'flu, where other people properly laid up with 'flu will soldier on without complaint.

Similarly some people who are just fed up will complain of depression and some people with depression will hide it as best they can and plod on with a brave face.

If you feel a bit down but find that it doesn't leave you debilitated, suicidal, unable to get out of bed or face the day or the world, then your just experiencing the emotions of being a bit sad. They're generally linked to things that happened, perhaps a pet has died or you broke up with your girlfriend. This is within the normal emotional range.

If you can't bring yourself to leave the house, or your bed, if you start to wonder if the world wouldn't be better off if you were dead, if you have intrusive thoughts about self harm, or harming others, if you have emotional outburst that are out of character either anger, or tears or anything else, if you can't find any joy in things that normally make you happy, if the smallest set back seems insurmountable, if you can't really identify why you feel like this, and whats more don't even have the energy to care, then you might be suffering from depression and should see someone, although you probably won't care enough about yourself to actually do so.

I suspect that most people who are diagnosed are first identified as having a problem by someone else, and reluctantly convinced to talk to a professional about it.

It is actually Mental Health Awareness week, so there will have been more on TV etc about it.

Personally I dont care who draws awareness to it (or how they do it) as long as they do. Its a massive issue thats carried a stigma for far too long. Good on anyone that speaks up about it.

Also, even if a celeb does get paid for talking about it, if it makes one person get help then in my opinion its worth every penny.