Imagine a world without advertising executives

Obviously there's a thin line between informative media articles and advertising.

Very much so, in fact, many companies pay significant sums to have articles that appear to be news in papers/online, which are actually advertising.

Still curious though - say I want to advertise on Facebook, so that my company is promoted and appears on the Facebook pages of people who like certain things. Is that a bad thing?

More and/or better marketing, of its own, never guarantees success, long term or otherwise.

I never said it did. What I said was that, in the current model, marketing is necessary for any company to get a hold in the market.

Building and then maintaining a strong association of product (and/or service) quality and value with the mark affixed to that product/service, does.

Does what? guarantee success? I don't think so.

I see you've brought quality in. Marketing can and does, enable companies producing low quality products and services to prosper- that's part of the problem which would be eliminated by banning marketing/advertising companies, as, after that, companies would have to rely on the quality of their product/service to ensure profit.

---------- Post added 12-05-2017 at 10:06 ----------

Still curious though - say I want to advertise on Facebook, so that my company is promoted and appears on the Facebook pages of people who like certain things. Is that a bad thing?

Why would you call that advertising? Why would it not just be you talking about your product and why you think it's good?

I'm on this thread putting my reasons why I think society would benefit greatly if the marketing/advertising industry was ended.

Am I advertising? Of course not.

(I wouldn't be surprised if some apologist pops up to say I am advertising- I've heard marketing apologists in the past claim that everything is marketing :))

But, I'm not advertising- to claim I am is a misuse of the word (misusing words is very common in marketing).

Edited by onewheeldave

Why is a low quality product bad?

I want an endoscope to go looking inside a land rover differential at the moment. I've just ordered a cheap one for 18EUR that will do the job - bit flimsy, probably not that robust, needs a phone to connect to view it and the resolution will be low.

Should I have just bought the Snap-on one at 719EUR instead because it's high quality? I'm only going to use it a couple of times I expect....

So tell me then how I would have discovered that things such as derailler gears existed when my local rather crappy bike shop sold nothing but Sturmey-Archers?

Nowt wrong with Sturmey-Archers. My new Brompton has a 3 speed one and I'm very impressed by it :)

Why would you call that advertising? Why would it not just be you talking about your product and why you think it's good?

It's definitely advertising, as I pay a few hundred pounds a month to Facebook in advertising charges. My adverts for my company appear to people for whom it will be relevant.

I think my question remains.

Under what you're proposing, am I ok to have someone in my company (it's me in my company) that does advertising for me, whether that be on Facebook, sticking an ad in the paper, or sponsoring an event? Is that ok? We're just outlawing advertising companies (again, I'd have no issue with that).

Nowt wrong with Sturmey-Archers. My new Brompton has a 3 speed one and I'm very impressed by it :)

Irrelevant though. Its not capable of doing what I wanted it to - so without advertising and with a bike shop that was of the same attitude as yours, how could I find out about Shimanos and interchangeable cassettes without advertising and marketing?

Why is a low quality product bad?

I want an endoscope to go looking inside a land rover differential at the moment. I've just ordered a cheap one for 18EUR that will do the job - bit flimsy, probably not that robust, needs a phone to connect to view it and the resolution will be low.

Should I have just bought the Snap-on one at 719EUR instead because it's high quality? I'm only going to use it a couple of times I expect....

Yeah, I buy a lot of stuff from the pound shop- low quality, but does the job cheap.

What's bad is when marketing (scientifically shown to be very effective) leads to consumers buying low quality products that they've been deceived by marketing ploys, into thinking it's high quality.

When it's things like mobile phones, contracts, broadband etc, that deception can cause a lot of misery.

When it's the NHS buying low quality pharmaceutical products presented as high quality, then it's devastating.

Irrelevant though. Its not capable of doing what I wanted it to - so without advertising and with a bike shop that was of the same attitude as yours, how could I find out about Shimanos and interchangeable cassettes without advertising and marketing?

How would you know about any new product at all?

It's definitely advertising, as I pay a few hundred pounds a month to Facebook in advertising charges. My adverts for my company appear to people for whom it will be relevant.

I think my question remains.

Under what you're proposing, am I ok to have someone in my company (it's me in my company) that does advertising for me, whether that be on Facebook, sticking an ad in the paper, or sponsoring an event? Is that ok? We're just outlawing advertising companies (again, I'd have no issue with that).

OK. You have no issue with outlawing advertising companies. You have just said that.

We're just outlawing advertising companies (again, I'd have no issue with that).

Do you think it's possible to outlaw advertising companies and permit the kind of advertising you speak of above, to continue, or, would it have to be restricted in some way?

---------- Post added 12-05-2017 at 10:15 ----------

Read a bike book?

How would you know about any new product at all?

I dunno. If we ban all advertising then the local bike shop couldn't actually call itself one. It'd just be a blank door and you would have to know which one to enter.

And hope it wasn't the Blue Oyster Bar.